Fostex FP203 BL-Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi @ll

I have designed a BL-Horn for the FP203.

The chamber is about 60ltr big, but I will have to reduce it a bit untill I get the sound I am looking for.

here are the datas for the Horn:

Am = 80x40 = 3200 cm²
Ah = 3.5x40 = 140 cm²
lenght = 1.1 m
chamber = < 60ltr

Attachments

• imp-und-spl.jpg
    imp-und-spl.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,929
Congratulations, Till

I didn´t expect to see you reacting that fast. Did you have a deal with Mr. Zetsche? :D

I looked up the dimensions for the original recommended BL horn for the FP203 aka BK 201. They add up to almost exactly 0.1 m³ volume. The new horn is 0.25 m³!! Size SEEMS to matter after all :scratch:

Does the sound live up to your expectations so far? (I know you are still going to optimise it). The response diagram looks very promising.

Seeing the FP203s sitting next to your beautiful big horn makes me wish to see them in some adequate enclosure too. ;)

Thanks for your efforts!

Rudolf

Hi Hilbren

up to now I haven’t got any measurements done. But maybe I will get the chance end of this week. As soon as I got some diagrams I will post them.

Hi Rudolf,

The horn sounds quite good but not as deep as the FX200 Horn. Ok the direct comparison is a bit unfair. The parameters from the FX200 are for my way of constructing a horn better.

Qts between 0,4 and 0,6
fs round 30 – 40Hz

- FX200 (Qts=0,45; Vas=82 ltr; fs=38 Hz)
- FP203 (Qts=0,18; Vas=81 ltr; fs=40 Hz)

But lets get first to the my room. It is too big for the FP203-Horn and I have to place it near in the middle of the room. The FP203-Horn should be placed nearer to a rear wall or even better direct to a corner. Reason is that the bass is not strong enough.
I will change the position of the FX and the FP today to see what happens. The “outline” or “contour” of the bass is really nice. You can hear all details and always have the feeling that the driver has everything under control.
The most important part for me is the midrange (voices). Here I will have to optimise the volume. The basis is good, very good. I will write more as soon as I will know how I will have to change the volume.
The details of the high frequency-area are ok but I don’t like the increase SPL of the driver. Here I will have the most work with. Right now I play with ~2,2µF and ~7Ohms parallel to the driver. Hope I will get better results and of course I will inform you as soon as I have news.

All over it looks like the construction will work.

cya Till

I know this is an old thread, but i'm curious to hear what became out of this ?
I have a chance to get myself a pair of 203 right now for the price of ~200 $, and would like to get my feet wet :D
Please note, that i have no experience what so ever with speakerbuilding (yet).

Best regards
Ebbe

Hi Till. Thanks for answering.

Frankly, i don't really know what it is i'm after, i just want to make one set of speakers in my lifetime :) .
(others than those i made in the 70-ties)
One thing i'm sure of, and that is, it's going to be a full-ranger. I read a lot about the wonders of those, and i want to hear them. The Spawn family looks very interesting, and i beleive that it will be one of them i will end up with.
I can understand that i better keep my hands off the 203, as it would be a shame to waste my money on something i probably never will get right.

Oh well, hopefully i still have time left to fullfill my dream, hehe.

Best regards
Ebbe

es44 said:
Hi Till. Thanks for answering.

Frankly, i don't really know what it is i'm after, i just want to make one set of speakers in my lifetime :) .
(others than those i made in the 70-ties)
One thing i'm sure of, and that is, it's going to be a full-ranger. I read a lot about the wonders of those, and i want to hear them. The Spawn family looks very interesting, and i beleive that it will be one of them i will end up with.
I can understand that i better keep my hands off the 203, as it would be a shame to waste my money on something i probably never will get right.

Oh well, hopefully i still have time left to fullfill my dream, hehe.

Best regards
Ebbe

Hi Ebbe,

one of the best Fullrange dirver is the Fostex Fx200. If you have the chance to get this driver for 200-250$ take it.

An other good driver is the Fe208Sigma. But you should listen to it befor you buy if. The sound is not everybodys first choice. A realistic price is between 200 and 300$ for a good/new pair.

If you want a cheaper driver take a Fe164 or a FP163. But I would add a 10" or 12" woofer to the 6" driver.

Or what about a combination with a 5" fullrange and two 5" woofer like the Preso?
http://hornlautsprecher.de/projekt_preso.htm

At http://www.hornlautsprecher.de are some projekts of us

best regards Till

Nice looking speakers, i must admit. My woodworking skills on the other hand, is not too good. :xeye:
Well, i have to wait anyway,(financial reasons), but you saved me from buing a pair of units, that i wouldn't be able to use.
I'll keep the fx200 and Fe208's in my thoughts, thanks for advice.

Best regards
Ebbe

hello everybody,
I am rather new to the hobby and I would like your suggestion on the following:
I have recently prepared a micro-horn cabinet (bass-reflex) that it is the fostex recommendation for 103en units. I have a space pair of FP203 units and I was thinking to give in a try with that cabinet. Do you think this is a good idea ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.