Fullrange hiss ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2005, 09:52 PM   #1
mirland is offline mirland  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mirland Send a message via MSN to mirland Send a message via Yahoo to mirland
Default Fullrange hiss ?

Hi !

I've just completed (?) my first venture into DIYing a set of speakers. I've used 8" Audio Nirvanas in 18L enclosures made from 19mm mdf lined in the insides with bitumen and damped using some kind of sonically correct speaker wool. Wiring is done using Supra Ply 3.6 and the bassreflex is placed as a slot on the front. These speakers have no real low end but they sound exceptionally clear and welldefined. BUT! As soon as there is no sound they hiss very "loud". This is annoying! Have I done anything wrong ? Or is this a characteristic of the fullrange speaker ?

The rest of the setup: Tripath amp (Audio Digit) and Rega Planet 2000 cd player with Rega Couple interconnect and Supra speaker cables.

Any advice is welcome !

/Mirland
Old 27th September 2005, 12:58 AM   #2
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Speakers are like computers: they do as they are instructed. You are likely hearing noise or some other auditory "junk" from the signal path. Try changing preamplifiers, sources, amplifiers and see what happens. Worst case, change the power circuit (and / or location) in the house.
Old 27th September 2005, 10:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If you're worried about picking up RFI, grab some ferrite clamps and stick them on all signal and speaker leads. Alternatively, wrap them in aluminium kitchen foil. I kid thee not. It's not as good as a well engineered shield, but it's very cheap, and if RFI is a problem, it's better than nothing until you can change leads or get the clamps.
My money is that it's your amp that's causing the problem; easiest way to find out is to swap it out for one borrowed froma friend if you haven't got another one lurking around the house somewhere.
Best
Scott
Old 27th September 2005, 10:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mirland Send a message via MSN to mirland Send a message via Yahoo to mirland
I am also comig to the conclusion that it might be the amplifier. I don't know which is worse

/Mirland
Old 27th September 2005, 03:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

My guesses would be that the hiss is caused by the source or amp or having AC power cables or power sources near the speaker wire. If the speakers have a BSC, the problem could also be the passive components.
Old 27th September 2005, 05:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I just got home and tried out a few things:

1. Changed amplifier: First an Onix OA21s - same level of hiss. Then a Naim Nait 1: Same level once again.

2. Changed speakers using my tripath amp: Hiss at a much lower level.

I am really confused. I would like to think it might be the tripath but I don't think so. My setup should be rather well organized BUT I am missing a dedicated ground spur.

Could it be that the speaker is actually too effecient ? That it multiplies the potential hiss from the amplifier/s ?

/Mirland
Old 27th September 2005, 06:26 PM   #7
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would like to think it might be the tripath but I don't think so.
Which amp exactly?
Old 27th September 2005, 06:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I hope this link works:

http://www.autocostruire.com/catalog...f73d47f02e88bb

I have constructed a nice steel casing and am using this psu:

http://www.autocostruire.com/catalog...roducts_id=260

However my version is the 5A.

/Mirland
Old 27th September 2005, 07:20 PM   #9
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well there is (was?) a known hiss problem with the Fernice amplifier from Autocostruire but not with the version in that link as far as I know (at least the one I have has no hiss).

But the problem is more likely to be with the amp than the speakers so I would contact the supplier and ask if they can suggest anything. (Or ask on the Class-D forum)
Old 27th September 2005, 07:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
But the problem is more likely to be with the amp than the speakers...
But it could be the source...
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!