fx 120 in a small sealed cabinet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2005, 07:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default fx 120 in a small sealed cabinet

I have ordered a pair of fostex fx 120 full range drivers from Madisound. I plan to implement the design you see in the pic. The purpose is 'a dedicated midrange monitor' for my studio, and i'm happy with the early bass roll off.

Now, since I know nothing about these things, I consulted with a local speaker builder, and he tells me that if I want a pure and honest sound, there simply cannot be so many passive components in the path, you can only get a pure sound by connecting the amp directly to the speaker. The original design of the speaker I'm building specifically says that the components are essential for a flat sound and incorporate the very necessary baffle step compensation.

I look forward to some of you exoerienced guys to help me understand better.

thanks,
self
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120 small.jpg (21.6 KB, 245 views)
Old 24th September 2005, 12:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
Mmmm... Rare to see some FX120 drivers. I own a pair myself, I'm very happy with the sound. I assume they are perfect monitors, due to their neutral sound.

Depending on the lowest frequency reproduced, you may even not need some BSC or notch. Any component in series with the speaker considerably alters the sound, especially selfs and capacitors.

Maybe the best thing would be to try them with nothing, and adjust a BSC eventually.

Don't forget other more "physical" parameters like the enclosure, the speaker's position (near a wall, you have less baffle step issues) and the phase adjustment between different units.

Everything counts in fact !

I'd suggest you to build your own sealed box, because with a particular design, you will be able to reinforce the low-midrange zone, cutoff the bass earlier, and "hold" the cone better.

Good luck !

Hide this!Advertise here!