fx 120 in a small sealed cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have ordered a pair of fostex fx 120 full range drivers from Madisound. I plan to implement the design you see in the pic. The purpose is 'a dedicated midrange monitor' for my studio, and i'm happy with the early bass roll off.

Now, since I know nothing about these things, I consulted with a local speaker builder, and he tells me that if I want a pure and honest sound, there simply cannot be so many passive components in the path, you can only get a pure sound by connecting the amp directly to the speaker. The original design of the speaker I'm building specifically says that the components are essential for a flat sound and incorporate the very necessary baffle step compensation.

I look forward to some of you exoerienced guys to help me understand better.

thanks,
self

Attachments

• 120 small.jpg
    120 small.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 286
Mmmm... Rare to see some FX120 drivers. I own a pair myself, I'm very happy with the sound. I assume they are perfect monitors, due to their neutral sound.

Depending on the lowest frequency reproduced, you may even not need some BSC or notch. Any component in series with the speaker considerably alters the sound, especially selfs and capacitors.

Maybe the best thing would be to try them with nothing, and adjust a BSC eventually.

Don't forget other more "physical" parameters like the enclosure, the speaker's position (near a wall, you have less baffle step issues) and the phase adjustment between different units.

Everything counts in fact ! :smash:

I'd suggest you to build your own sealed box, because with a particular design, you will be able to reinforce the low-midrange zone, cutoff the bass earlier, and "hold" the cone better.

Good luck !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.