Starting new speaker company, ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paulo,
I don't now about you, but my B4 alignments never do the boomy one note thing. Of course I actually measure the drivers myself before designing the enclosure. Could be you're trying to take the woofer too far up before crossing off?

-Chris

Hi Chris,

The "been there, done that" line was actually adressed at all loudspeaker dyiers except myself...
Except for litlle mods to commercial speakers, the only ones I ever build were open-baflles, as I live in a flat and don´t have the facilities of a workshop :(

Nevertheless I´ve listened to infinite baflle speakers to recognize their character, and to witness how it´s always absent in bass reflex designs.
In the latter, some bass notes tend to sound much louder than others :whazzat: while in the former it doesn´t happen.
I listen mostly through bookshelf speakers that don´t go much lower than 50 or 40 Hz. Could be the reason, I don´t know...
When a port is tuned below this region, perhaps the boominess is not so blatant?
Also, it´s not only a question of loudness, I think rythmic passages sound tighter with IBs. I really find them more musical and fun to listen to.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paulo,
I think once you build your own set you will see what's going on. Commercial speakers are built at 1/2 the correct volume or lower. This is no longer a 4th order butterworth at that point. Try building an 8" B4 box, Peerless drivers will get you "down there". The sound will be tight and fast. 6.5" drivers are faster, 10" are not as fast. They are just as tight properly done with no boom. The bass just kind of appears and disappears when appropriate. Vifa drivers work well and are a little more efficient.

-Chris

Hey Trevor,

I wish you the best of luck. I'm getting into this a little late, but my advice to you is to remember that current speaker design and technology is very old. There's not much left to squeeze out via technology. I believe the future is in room equalization and room treatments, i.e., electronics, so to speak. So if you are going to build speakers, you will have to compete on quality, service, and sales.

Given that, you will probably succeed if you remember that:

1. You are not your own boss, your customers are.

2. Watch your inventory; buy only those materials you need for the immediate future (that truckload of $5 a sheet MDF will bite you, I guarantee it).

3. Price your product fairly; don't compete on price, don't get greedy.

4. Forget about taking vacations or long weekends.

5. Mind your books; you MUST know where the money is going and where it is coming from.

6. There are no throwaway sales. Assume each sale is going to open a door to ten more (see #1).

I speak with some experience on this subject.

Doug

I know this thread has got a little bloated & forgive me if this appeared previously; have you considered an ebay store? They are easy to set up, low cost & Paypal handles all the billing for you (they take their cut but so will any merchant credit account). Anytime someone searches using terms you have pre-selected they will be shown your store.

This really isn't meant to be a commercial for ebay, however, I know people that operate some pretty succesful businesses this way.

...oh & good luck!

PB

Geek said:

When I created my first sucessful venture and appreciated this statement, I made a bumper sticker: "You've never worked for a complete a-hole until you've been self-employed" :D

Good one, Geek. Of course, my wife would agree with your bumper sticker 100 percent :)

A cousin of your saying is: "Your'e not truly married until you've run a business with your spouse."

Doug

xplod1236 said:
Geek, would you like to share your findings?

No, because I have a feeling it will start an offtopic flamewar :rolleyes: I'll just say that I, my friends and a lot of merchants have been burned.

I personally reccommend 2checkout and/or HyperWallet (which has a PayPal interlink, so you can buy stuff through PayPal merchants without an actual PayPal account)

Taperwood said:
A cousin of your saying is: "Your'e not truly married until you've run a business with your spouse."

Doug

Hahaha! Good one! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.