Starting new speaker company, ideas? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2005, 05:42 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default thanks for the input!

thanks for all the input, I'm gald you guys are encouraging. I don't think i will go to school for elec eng. i have a mechanical enginneering diploma, and good woodworking and production/manufacturing skills. I also, think i have a good ear and a passion for good sound. I never thought about meas. equipment, although i figured when i get a design that i feel sounds good, I can take it to Ottawa to...I think ottawa universtiy where they have a sound chamber for testing speakers (thats where PSB goes).

thanks again!
Trevor Crowe
Old 24th September 2005, 05:51 PM   #12
Byrd is offline Byrd  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Byrd
Just take a dust mask with you. If it is anything like the anechoic chambers I have been in - all that old foam is not good if you have alleregies.

It is also a very surreal experience, even though the room I was in was relativly large I got extremely claustrophobic and I usualy dont mind small spaces.
Old 24th September 2005, 05:59 PM   #13
robertG is offline robertG  Canada
diyAudio Member

I see that you did your homework. Best of luck in your venture!!

One last thing, sometimes, very talented people fail to make it because they simply forget that profits are essential and that it's not a dirty word.

Probably you looked at commercial speakers sold for 3000 or 4000$ and think to yourself, gee, I can make it for 100$. True you can make it for that amount but remember that only two things can happen to your business: it can fail or it can succeed.

Success is very tricky! If you can make something for 100$ and build your business plan around it, what will you do when you'll need a warehouse, 800 numbers, and faxes, and accounting people and web programmers, trade show expenses, etc. All those expenses have to be factored in, in the first place.

Most of all, include your own salary! Just because you like to work on speakers doesn't mean you should not be paid for it.

Last and not least, stay away - some of the times - from this forum (and others). Most of us are DIYers, cheapo, and we all think that speakers are the great rip-off... Speak to dealers, competitors, customers and try to understand how they put value on speakers.

RobertG

Gemme Audio
www.gemmeaudio.com
Old 24th September 2005, 06:24 PM   #14
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Trevor,
Business plan. If the bank doesn't like it, it will not work. Remember, they like to make money and a shakey business will not do that for them - or you.

Prepare to be ripped off - do not take it personally. The audio business can be very unprofessional. Make fair rules and stick to them or you will be eaten for lunch.

Prepare for shipping losses and damage. Add outright theft. You need to go to shows at some point. And dealers want give aways and terms. Payment terms cost you money - congrats, you are now a bank.

At some point you need advertising and shiny things to give away. Budget for it.

Running a business is fun, make sure you pad things enough to survive. Having employees is a whole other kettle of fish.

-Chris
Old 24th September 2005, 07:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

hi mr crowe

congrats on the initiative!

i'll say you better begin with building a pair your own and experimenting till the cow comes home. this is your r&d. when you hv found something better than "run of the mill fostex implementations" then you only you have "value".

without value, you don't hv a business proposition.

the diy community is always looking for value so better be high on "value".

it's good you are doing part time as this means you can price the item more in tune with the market.

pay attention to the market you are trying to seek, whether it's locally, regionally or globally. always ask yourself why would anyone want to buy from you and not someone else.

the way i see it, there is a good area you could start. as you know, since there's so many tweaks on fostex drivers, you really need to do your homework here and incorporate all the "good" tweaks into your final product. some folks are just lazy so would prefer to buy a pair of speakers and be done with. so if you do all this "tweaking work" for them, they'll be happy. now this is value.

good luck!

donjuan
Old 25th September 2005, 01:59 AM   #16
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default Re: thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally posted by Crowe_Audio
thanks for all the input, I'm gald you guys are encouraging. I don't think i will go to school for elec eng. i have a mechanical enginneering diploma, and good woodworking and production/manufacturing skills. I also, think i have a good ear and a passion for good sound. I never thought about meas. equipment, although i figured when i get a design that i feel sounds good, I can take it to Ottawa to...I think ottawa universtiy where they have a sound chamber for testing speakers (thats where PSB goes).

thanks again!
Trevor Crowe
Price wars market? Hype market? Value market? Hobby sales?

In the price wars market, you need sufficient quanities and investment, high risk.

In Hype market, you need sales techniques and so so products.

In the value market, you need electrical engineering, acoustics engineering, mechanicall engineering, industrial design and other manufacturing skills in a team.

Hobby sales, well you do with whatever you want.

Once you formally register a company, there are some minimum costs involved to meet local regulation requirements, so be sure of what they are ahead of time and plan for it.

You always need gear to to measurements to help you more precisely figure out what to change to make things sound good to your years. That's relating data to what you hear.
Old 25th September 2005, 05:31 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc
Once you formally register a company, there are some minimum costs involved to meet local regulation requirements, so be sure of what they are ahead of time and plan for it.
About that Trevor, the feds are real easy to deal with and the forms are a free download. It's the blasted provincial govt. that will impede you at every turn, so don't expect that part to be too easy
Old 26th September 2005, 09:12 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Trevor,
I'm reminded about a 23 yrs old myself. Back then I thought about doing the same with a Back loaded horn, finally I went ahead with a Printed Ciruit Board and Keyboard production line!!!
Now if you have $$$ backing you, you could contact dealers and provide them with a set each of your speakers - Many dealers prefer it that way. If you are a bit short in $$$ then you could scale down on the number of dealers.
Be sure that your product offers more and costs less than competitors, throw in some extended warrantees.
All the best to you.
Hope you kick the reputed Hi-enders' butts.
Old 26th September 2005, 09:40 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by francis varkey

Hope you kick the reputed Hi-enders' butts.
I echo the sentiment, and wish you well. I'd do something similar, but costs in the UK are prohibative. Good luck.
Scott
Old 26th September 2005, 09:52 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

You may have the best speaker in the Universe, but it is worth nothing if your potential customers is unaware of your product and company.

Try to get as much "free" advertising as possible through feature stories in local media.
Team up with other small companies so you can complement each other.
If you can persuade a Hi-Fi Magazine to test your speaker, it is invaluable.
Arrange demo`s at the local Hi-Fi shop.

Make your speaker something special so your customer really WANT it. Personally, I want the new MV Agusta 1000 F4 just for the sexy look and the exclusivity, despite the fact that a JAP probably is better and more reliable.

Ask yourself why people would buy your speakers in favor of a KEF or JBL or whatever.

Good Luck !

Cheers JB

----------------------------------------------

Favorite soundtrack: A Top Fuel Monster blasting down the Quarter...

Hide this!Advertise here!