Building Martin King's ML TQWT... advice on driver subsitutions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey guys,

Well, I've been looking for my next project. I've been turned onto full-range speakers, and I think I'm going to built Martin King's ML TQWT

I'm wondering about possible driver substitutions that might yield better results. Scottmoose told me about possibly using the FE167E or the FF165K. In King's paper, he also mentions the FE168EZ.

Any thoughts on these, or others out there? I don't mind spending up to $175 per driver. I plan on using these speakers as my main stereo speakers. I listen to mostly Jazz, Funk, and Jam-Band type music. To yield the best results I don't have a problem with using a super tweeter and sub, but would like to know in advance if I will need to do so. I'm also open to other project ideas, but I'd like to build something that is fairly well documented and have a unique appearance.

wow ... from the man himself. I guess I'll stick with the 167E.

I'm very much excited to build these. They'll be my first full range speakers ever. I can't wait to hear what they sound like. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit unsure as to how they will end up sounding, as I've never heard a full range speaker.

I'm still actually a bit on the fence deciding what speakers I should build next between: Dr. K's MTM, Dave Brown's dB717tl w/ the RS28, and your ML TQWT. This is such a hard decision, since they are all such different speakers and between them cost is not an issue. Why do I get the feeling that regardless of which one I end up choosing, I'll end up making all of them in due time ... lol :D My little apartment is going to get pretty crowded!

p.s. MJK thanks for providing such great work and information on your site.

You speak for us all -we all owe a considerable debt of thanks to Martin for his work. A few less-than honest types in my opinion also owe him a debt of a fiscal nature too...

The 167 is the drop-in swap -both pairs of these cabinets I've built so far use this driver, as per your advice Martin. However; Martin -when you have a free moment, try plugging the 165 into the cabinet, with one other change -reduce the vent radius to 1". I was surprised -very flat response, with only a fractional rise which the original BSC circuit should handle. I might give it a try next pair of these I build -I'm starting at the end of the month. I loaned my second pair out the day before yesterday, and, if the same thing happens to these as my first pair (likely), I won't be seeing them again, except in her lounge. If the 165 doesn't work in practice, I can always go back to the 167 -same baffle-hole.

Cheers
Scott

Scott and Santiu, thanks for the positive feedback.

I am sure that any of the three designs you are considering will turn out much better then anything you could buy for an equivalent price. I bet the performance of each will surpass many speakers at two or three times the cost. Sounds like you cannot go wrong with whichever you decide to build.

My little apartment is going to get pretty crowded!

I know that feeling. Pretty soon my kids are going to have Lowther speakers playing off of their boom boxes. Gotta find a home for every pair I build!

OH Yes !

You will never find any 2-way design at the price of the FE167E that will sound better. The FE series have an excellent detail level, a pure and open midrange and they are very linear.

It is simply a bargain, just believe it.

A friend of mine who wanted to build speakers asked me for advice, I told him " well, seen the amount of money you want to spend, go for a fullranger, you will never get a 2-way design of this quality at this cost".

And you have an enormeous advantage with a fullrange driver : no phase adjutement with the tweeter, point source emission, and a perfect imaging !

BTW thanks too to Martin, you did a wonderful job for the DIY community, especially here, in the fullrange world !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.