Old enclosure for FE108ez

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have:
1. I have an KLH6 speakers. 42liters.
2. I want to try myself in DIY speaker project.
3. I want to order FE108EZ

Questions:

1. Since KLH is a sealed cabinet, what are the implications of using fe108ez with it?

2. If fe108ez will not work in a sealed cabinet, are there any other full range drivers that will? Preferably in the same price range.

3. If no full range drivers will work in a sealed cabinet. It's possible to make a hole in a cabinet. Will this work?

Thank you.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

42L is much too big for this driver if vented and will be ~an infinite baffle (IB) if left sealed, which means it will roll off up in the hundreds of Hz.

The FE207E is a much better 'fit' tuned to Fs (need to add a vent tuned to ~39 Hz), but still needs some series resistance to flatten it out and a baffle step compensation ckt. (BSC) to tonally balance it if it's not going to be up against a wall or near/at a corner.

Don't know of any FR drivers suitable for this size sealed except the Pioneer B20 (PE #295-045), which can be vented in a prosound alignment in this size also. It doesn't have the resolution of the Fostex and needs a super tweeter if you have good HF hearing, but the price is right for 'getting your feet wet' and there's many forum threads that discuss tweaking tips for better performance.

GM

Not really with that amount of power on tap. The 206 needs a little more BSC / series resistance owing to its lower Q, and hense needs a little more grunt from the amplifier driving it, but that's more an issue for the SET brigade. The 206 will also roll off very fractionally higher than the 207. However, the trade off is the 206 often provides a whisker more detail. Your call. I've heard both, in Martin King's MLTL project (found here:
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html ), and I personally prefer the 207, but that's just my listening preferences -I'd rather give away a touch of detail (the 206 has enough to throw away) in favour of a slightly warmer presentation.
Best
Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.