B&W DM14s construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a couple of B&W DM14 speakers. They sound good, but I think they could be better. I've tried to disassemble them, in order to replace the wiring and terminals, and may disable the protection circuit. However, I cannot find out how to disassemble the speakers beyond just unscrewing the drivers, and I'm afraid that I might damage them if I do it by trial and error.

So could anyone tell me how to go about taking them apart? :)

You want to remove the drivers or disassemble the whole enclosure ?

I got one day some commercial speakers, almost 100% of them are glued and you can only remove the speakers or the terminals.

Removing the speakers isn't a problem, unless they are also glued. Just unscrew them, unsolder the wires and you should be able to reach the filter through the speaker hole. The risk is to damage the speakers if the screwdriver drifts on the membrane :cannotbe: . I use a plywood plate to protect the speakers when I remove them from an enclosure.

You can also unscrew the terminal, and see if you have a better access to what you want inside.

youyoung21147 said:
You want to remove the drivers or disassemble the whole enclosure ?

I got one day some commercial speakers, almost 100% of them are glued and you can only remove the speakers or the terminals.

Removing the speakers isn't a problem, unless they are also glued. Just unscrew them, unsolder the wires and you should be able to reach the filter through the speaker hole. The risk is to damage the speakers if the screwdriver drifts on the membrane :cannotbe: . I use a plywood plate to protect the speakers when I remove them from an enclosure.

You can also unscrew the terminal, and see if you have a better access to what you want inside.

Initially I wanted to remove the enclosure, but now it appears I can reach everything by just removing the drivers. Didn't think it would be that easy :).

The panels are glued together, judging from the traces of glue inside the enclosure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.