Fostex speaker repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OUch what a pity !!

These drivers are moreover discontinued now.

Well, it seems that the coil has been blown up by the amp's current. The coil had to handle much power and its temperature increased until the wire liquefies... and breaks.

Bring it back to your retailer or to a repair expert, but it may be hard to repair these jowels, they are so precisely built !

If you wanna be sure the coil is dead, test it with an impedance-meter, or smell it to know ;)

I doubt Fostex sells replacement parts for FX200, and moreover it is a discontinued model. (They are stupid to have discontinued it BTW, it was so popular)

I own myself some FX-120 and the coil wire is really thin. I hope it will never blow.

If you can, don't replace or remove any part on them. These are really precise units, I never saw such well-built speakers. The coil is made in a square wire.

Often, the coil blows at the beginning of the wire, or at the end. Try to locate the blown part, and obtain a really small soldering iron to repair the coil, it may be worth a try (though it is almost impossible to do).

Double Blow!!!

the issue of the FX200 I'll have to handle and to investigate deeper to see what is the cause.
Now this morning my 2 year old grandson while playing with my daughter pushed my other speaker, a tall slim tqwt which houses a Fostex F120A, it fell sideways according to my daughter. Later this evening when I turned on the tv I heard a bad distortion coming from that speaker and upon closer inspection saw the foam surround badly distorted. I unscrew the speaker driver and to my horror the front part of the driver was in my hand and the rest was dangling inside the cabinet. Apparently it was broken, all four legs of the cast metal frame :bawling: . I can't understand it, these drivers are made with cast metal frame, solid. How can it break with just one fall, and a side fall at that. The driver did not make contact with the ceramic floor when it fell, only the speaker cabinet did.
Anyway I'm sad, sad, sad...double blow. :cannotbe:
I love my hifi and the same time I love my grandson too.
Anyone selling 1 piece FX200 or F120A?

What an ******* !!!!!!

I'm sad for you to have 2 high-end speakers broken :S

I have some FX-120 and know that if one day someone destroys them, I'll kill him/her lol :D

Maybe it is possible to repair the F120A : the side fall can be destructive, the frame is cast and cannot be distorted like a stamped one. (the magnet is huuuuuge)

If there are not unglued things, get some Epoxy glue and repair the frame with it. It must work, this glue is perfect !

Concerning the foam surround, get some rubber glue to repair the holes if there are some. Be careful not to melt it with the glue's solvant !

Good luck, though you are very unlucky :whazzat: Poor guy ! :smash:

I have not checked to see the extent of the damage, when I saw the driver in two parts I qucikly pushed the one in my hand back to the hole and left it there. I was in shock, numb. I just did'nt want to think about the speaker a that moment.
maybe later tomorrow I will see the damage and see if it can be salvaged but for sure the surround is gone and maybe the cone too...too distorted physically.

Well little children and sensitive gears don't mix, only a month ago my grandson poked his little finger on the aluminium dust cap and made a neat dent on the FX200 but I managed to pull it out using sticky tape. Then he made many small dents on the dust cap of the F120A (the other one not the broken one), this too I pulled out using sticky tape but did not come out clean, has many wrinkles.

Wonder if a big corporation like Fostex will help me out with replacement parts and repairs if I write to them or will they just ignore me...only one way to find out.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
youyoung21147 said:
Often, the coil blows at the beginning of the wire, or at the end. Try to locate the blown part, and obtain a really small soldering iron to repair the coil, it may be worth a try (though it is almost impossible to do).

I broke the lead-in wires on a pr of FE127. (story here). A buddy managed to find both broken ends, but said he would have to dig out his microscope to fix them.

Not an easy task fixing that... But there are artisans who will pull apart a driver & rewind voice coils.

dave

tmaseq said:

Well little children and sensitive gears don't mix, only a month ago my grandson poked his little finger on the aluminium dust cap and made a neat dent on the FX200 but I managed to pull it out using sticky tape. Then he made many small dents on the dust cap of the F120A (the other one not the broken one), this too I pulled out using sticky tape but did not come out clean, has many wrinkles.

Wonder if a big corporation like Fostex will help me out with replacement parts and repairs if I write to them or will they just ignore me...only one way to find out.

LOL :D you should maybe build some protection "clothes" to prtoect your metal and paper babies from human babies :cool:

Maybe adding some sand in the back of the enclosure will help make it more steady too.

Concerning burnt voice coil, the safest thing is to bring it to an artisan, I agree with planet10. Unless you know what you are doing ! :smash:

Hello tmaseq,

have you find spare parts for FX200 ?

I have bought for an euro, a pair of Fostex FX200 which have been burned by a defective amplifier and I search Voice coil , speeder, surround for them.

Best Regards

Pascal

Attachments

• fx200burned.jpg
    fx200burned.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 351
Hello tmaseq,

I have contacted a lot of suppliers and I will see.

But I think to use LE8 voice coil, speeder and surround replacement parts.
We could find these parts easily.

What I should know, it is if these parts will be appropriate.

For the speeder and the surround, it's ok, but for the voice coil, it would be necessary that I know the exact specificities of the original FX200 voice coil ?

A - outer diameter
B - inner diameterC - former height
D - winding height
measurements in mm

DCR (Ohms) = ?

Cordially

Pascal

Attachments

• voicecoil.gif
    voicecoil.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 255
Re: Fostex 167e

SteveA said:
It looks like my 167e's are fried. I had the amp running properly (at least it was making music with another set of speakers) or so I thought. Any ideas on repairing these drivers (I would assume the voice coil suffered melt down)>
SteveA
As was mentioned in the OP's case, a DMM used to measure the resistance of the driver will diagnose a fried voice coil.
I've forgotten the size of the of the FX120, FX200 but here is a link to some 7cm Fostex parts: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fostex-7cm-Full...ryZ14991QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem . Good luck with the repairs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.