FE127 project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2005, 04:58 AM   #11
Dumbass is offline Dumbass  British Antarctic Territory
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jim_vt
Could you maybe draw a picture of what you mean? I'm having a brain fart...usually happens around this time of night.

Thanks for the assistance so far though
Well, the idea is that in a TL you want the stuffing to be on the driver end of the pipe, down to about half the length of it. Since stuffing drops with gravity, you need to figure out a way to suspend it so it doesn't settle at the bottom.
Old 18th September 2005, 05:54 AM   #12
jim_vt is offline jim_vt  United States
diyAudio Member

It just seems so....inexact

I guess I'll buy a bag or two of polyfill and some netting and play around.
Old 18th September 2005, 08:30 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
IMHO if you use a bag it means you need much stuffing. Maybe it isn't necessary.

Personally I use some polyester fiber that is presented like a thick and lite "carpet". You cut it to the dimensions you need to fit your cabinet, and just fix it on the walls with tape, it works very well and there is no risk to see the stuffing whistle or fall in the enclosure.

it looks like this : http://www.conrad.fr/webapp/wcs/stor...LightId=209868

You can also look at my projects on my website, there are photos of what I mean

Just my 0.02$
Old 18th September 2005, 04:04 PM   #14
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by youyoung21147
IMHO if you use a bag it means you need much stuffing. Maybe it isn't necessary.

Personally I use some polyester fiber that is presented like a thick and lite "carpet".
Greets!

Right, if someone feels the need for this much stuffing in such a small cab for it to sound good, then the cab is either way too small for the driver or tuned wrong, which we know isn't the case with this design.

Yes, this material works fine at 0.5 - 0.75" thickness in a typical size cab and 1.0 - 2.0" in large cabs (> ~3 ft^3)

GM
Old 18th September 2005, 05:35 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Well yesterday we got a suprizing amount of work done. He and I discussed finishes and he decided he wanted to buy some inexpensive yet pretty plywood. So he got here at about 6pm and we started working, cutting all the wood and gluing many pieces. We decided to build it similar to the way Vikash built his w3 871s. If you don't remember the way they look the pannels are all glues together (with ofcourse butt joints) so that the front baffle fits into the sides and the top. This way you can see the layers in the plywood. We have done everything but the sides.

Unfortunately We already made the vent 2.22". I guess we will add quite a bit of stuffing. I also think that we are going to add a small brace a couple inches bellow the driver. I'm listening to them right now with no sides, not the best way to listen, but I've got a lot of work to do right now so I can't finish them right now.

The speakers still need to brake in more, they have become a little less harsh and the detail has come out some. The bass is not bad, but not as good as the wr125s.

Any recommendations for making the port longer without having to take off pieces?

I tried to take some pictures buy my camera is not working properly, wants new batterys when I put new batteries in there.

I'll post more info later when more work is done and when I can get some pictures.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 18th September 2005, 06:50 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

if it is a circular port, use a tube made out of cardboard, or thick paper. Insert it in the port and make its length vary by moving the cardboard tube inside it. It will be at least sufficient to find the best tuning.
Old 18th September 2005, 06:59 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by edjosh23
The bass is not bad, but not as good as the wr125s.
It never will be... it should edge out the WR in the mids thou & requires a 1/4 the ampifier power (speaker design is all about trade-offs)

dave
Old 18th September 2005, 07:43 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I'd be very interested to compare th FR125 to the Fe127 and FX120.

I bet the FR125 has more bass than Fe127, but I also think it cannot have the detail level of the Fostex drivers. It's a matter of taste then !
Old 19th September 2005, 12:23 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Well I've finished the construction of the speakers. I'm very jealous! In the boxes the bass is very good, still not as good as the WR125s, but I think the detail is here. I haven't listened to many cds yet, right now I'm listening to "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck. I've listened to some John Mayer, some Dave Matthews band. I'm gonna slip in some Phil Collins, Joshua Redman, John Legend and others. I have not done a comparison with the wr125s, I really don't have to time right now, I am suprized I got this much work done today. I'll try and take pictures again after some more listening.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 19th September 2005, 02:43 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well Ive listened to quite a few more cd and I really like these speakers a lot. I moved them up on my computer desk, how my friend is going to have them and they are pretty big. Well I was able to squeeze one picture out of my camera before it died on me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Josh

Hide this!Advertise here!