Solo 103 and JX92

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think the Solo was designed for the Fostex series drivers. If you want something suitable for the JX92, have a look at the Jordan pages

www.ejjordan.co.uk/systems/jx92_system.html

this gives the Jordan VTL transmission line design

and

www.ejjordan.co.uk/diy

gives Greg Monfor's MLTL designs. These could be considered more modern versions of the Solo but designed specifically for the JX92. Reports generally have been very good on these and I can vouch for the 48" version, which works as advertised and sounds very good.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Oops - just checked your link and the Solo 103 is a compact enclosure, not the one I was thinking of (there's a taller, floorstanding Solo out there somewhere). In which case, have a look at Jim Griffin's vented design on the Jordan links page, or ocnsider the 8 litre reflex on the systems page mentioned above.

(Memo to self: Always look before you link.)

Colin

My open class entry for the DIY 2001 Southeast Region in Atlanta contest was a mini-monitor based upon the Jordan JX92S driver. This driver is a remarkable 5.5” (140 mm diameter) shielded driver. You can visit the Jordan website (www.ejjordan.co.uk) to see the full specs. The Fs is 45 Hz, sensitivity is 88 dB SPL, and Xmax is +/- 4.5 mm. The frequency response graphs on the Jordan site show full range coverage to beyond 20 kHz. The power handling though is 50 watts continuous and 100 watts music in system rating.

My speaker design is a 0.25 cu. ft. MDF box (0.75” walls), which measures externally 12.5”H x 7.5”W x 8”D. Attached to each side are one inch thick zebrawood ($12 per foot for the hardwood!) side cheeks. With the hardwood cheeks and the basic rigidity of the enclosure, the box is solid which contributes to the quality of the resultant sound. These small monitors with the Jordan driver are visually stunning in appearance. The box is ported with a 1.38” diameter 4.31” long port tube. The box is designed so that the F3 point is 55 Hz . On the inside I layered 1.5” acoustic egg crate foam on the rear, top, and side walls and added a small pad of acoustic foam directly behind the driver. My internal ‘crossover’ is 13 gauge wire from the terminals to the driver. Oh the benefits of a full range driver!

I do use a slight baffle step correction if the speaker is positioned away from the side and back walls of the listening room. Instead of a full 6 dB theoretical baffle step correction, I corrected for 3 dB of the baffle step. The correction circuit is in series with one of the speaker terminals and consists of a 4 ohms resistor in parallel with a 1.5 mH inductor. While this circuit does shelve down the frequency range above 1000 Hz by 3 dB, it does lend a better balance to the sound.

How do they sound? One judge at the contest wrote: “They start and stop on a dime in the bass. Great detail and articulation. Sound staging is very good.” Another judge commented: “Balanced, bass well controlled, nice wide image. Good detail.” Shortcomings that were mentioned were: “Could use a tiny bit more upper treble and more attack on the upper mid-bass.”

Finally, these little speakers present an exceptional sound stage with exceptional clarity and absence of coloration. I have listened with and without my stereo subwoofers and only the lowest frequencies are missing with the Jordans. It did take 75 to 100 hours for the drivers to burn-in and yield the best bass. They really do an excellent job on my favorite tracks jazz, vocal and other instrumental selections. Vocals are excellent with no hint of sibilance. One listener stated that the sound of his favorite track sounded as if a small version of the jazz band was in the room. Kick drums and cymbals are lifelike with no mushy sounds. Some may wish for more air in the 10-20 KHz range but the overall sound coherency is good.

The Jordans are best if played at moderate levels. In my large listening room (a reasonably bright 18’W x 36’L x 10’H room) the listening volume is more than pleasing but if you play them at more extreme levels, then some harshness begins to be heard. If you like to crank up your sound to really loud levels, then these speakers are probably not for you. However, if like beautiful music, then these little speakers will serve the need.
Hope Jim doesn´t mind...
I just copied the text from the webpage at the time when the forums were still up.

Back to the solo 103. This speaker came with several different
4' drivers. I have a 10rg11 unmarked , 10f3 foster, 10t3 foster
and fe103 fostex. The first 2 use alnicol magnets the later 2 use
ferrite magnets I believe I pulled all these drivers from solo 103's.
The reason I brought this up is the alnicol 4' drivers I mentioned
are still verry verry good drivers except for no power handeling
and no bass. By the way that link you posted at the start of this thread is broken.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
woody said:
Back to the solo 103. This speaker came with several different
4' drivers.

Hey woody... they're talking about Tony G's Solo 103 not the Radio Shack one... i am thou going to get around to seeing if i can come up with a box similar to Tony's for the alnico FE103s i have laying about.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.