Optimum cabinet for 3" Hi-Vi B3S single driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Hi-Vi B3S single driver, (3" drivers) and I want to know what is the smallest cabinet volume size I can go without compromising performance.
I will most certainly argument the bass with a Sub.
I read that for this size of driver bass reflex is not recommended, correct me if I am wrong, so sealed enclosure is the way to go.
I am planning to used it with an amp3 amplifier from 41hz.com.
I have also seen many different models of enclosure.
Will a large baffle, for the same internal volume give better tone and bass than a slim one? Large baffle in the Omega and Audio Note speaker style.

I had a look at the zaphaudio.com recommendations and it recommends some kind of filters for the driver. I know almost nothing about speakers, but I've read that one of the advantage of full range was that it needed no crossover whatsoever. So which is which?

Bas Horneman said:

Generally true..but in some cases you might need a little network to prevent breakup in a certain area or to improve the sound...

I had a quick read ...in the article you linked to ..but I could not 123 see what the reason for the crossover or network was
Here is the link to Zaph's full range driver test results.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/newreply.php

The Winners: (From Zaph's Link: The one you one to use)
Hi-Vi B3S - This is one of the first drivers I tested. I developed a routine of listening to 3 test tracks with each driver after it was mounted on the infinite baffle. Just one driver on the baffle, me and the music. I was kind of shocked how good this $9 driver sounded. Further tests had shown me why it sounded so good - Perfectly smooth response through the midrange and extremely low distortion. A minor breakup node didn't impose on the music too much, but if I were going for perfection this driver would have a 5 component filter - A RL baffle step circuit and a notch for the small peak at 8kHz. The Xmax gives it roughly twice as much output as the TB 871. Bonus points given for a manufacturer's response curve that is actually accurate. Overall, great sound and a shocking good value.

So adding the filter is the way to go to cure the cone breakup and smooth the response. I just hope it will not affect dynamics.

But you guys must have an opinion on the wide baffle thing.
Is it better to make it large or slim, of course for the same internal volume. I have not seen the large front very popular with DIYers, maybe due to WAF or is it just BS.

MrDodo said:
But you guys must have an opinion on the wide baffle thing.
Is it better to make it large or slim, of course for the same internal volume. I have not seen the large front very popular with DIYers, maybe due to WAF or is it just BS.
Wide baffle is always a good thing. I think it clears the lower midrange, because the baffle step frequency is lower. This however affects the bsc-cirquit, the size of the inductor has to be increased.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.