Aurasound speaker for short line array?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Welcome to our lair! I'm sure we'll all do our best to help out as much as possible. Could you be a little more specific about what it is you're hoping to do with this project? THe impression I recieved is that you're thinking about building 5 speaker cabinets with 4 drivers in each? Or am I off the mark here? (I'm not feeling at my sharpest tonight, so the fault is probably mine)
Assuming for a minute that my guess is correct, you'll need to remember that 4 drive units per box does not a line array make. This is not knit-picking over the name however; it's something you'd need to seriously bare in mind, because of the dispersion of sound, or lack thereof that you'd get with such a short line. The advantage of a line array lies primarily in that they effectively always place the listener in the nearfield, negating to a major extent reflected sound from the room. With a short line, this isn't going to happen, and you're going to run into all sorts of problems regarding image placement for example. In very basic terms, the image is being stretched just enough to get all the drawbacks, but not anything like enough to recieve any of the real benefits of an array.
A properly set up line array is great, but they're tricky to get right. Arrays using full-range units (which I suppose these can be just about classified as -look like nice little drivers by the way) are also often less sucessful than 2-way types using mid/bass drivers and tweeters. With some hefty power-tapering though, they can work well.
Best
Scott

They could be pretty good with, say 10 in each array, minimum. I wouldn't expect much bass though. Probably pretty weak below 100hz, possibly higher. Generally, cheaper drivers are used in line arrays though. Using the Aurasound drivers in the necessary quantity could get pretty expensive.

I just got a pair of these and combined them with a oair of fostex FF85k's in some small tl's. I use them with a small sub hocked to my computer for music and to watch dvd's. They sound really good together I've even rocked them threw my st70 tube amp and they soung great but they do need bass reinforcement:cool:

Scottmoose said:
Assuming for a minute that my guess is correct, you'll need to remember that 4 drive units per box does not a line array make. This is not knit-picking over the name however; it's something you'd need to seriously bare in mind, because of the dispersion of sound, or lack thereof that you'd get with such a short line. The advantage of a line array lies primarily in that they effectively always place the listener in the nearfield, negating to a major extent reflected sound from the room. With a short line, this isn't going to happen, and you're going to run into all sorts of problems regarding image placement for example. In very basic terms, the image is being stretched just enough to get all the drawbacks, but not anything like enough to recieve any of the real benefits of an array.

Ted Jordan suggests 4 JX53 for a wall mounted line array, here:
http://www.ejjordan.co.uk/systems/jx53_system.html

So it cant be totally bad?

Scottmoose said:
Could you be a little more specific about what it is you're hoping to do with this project? THe impression I recieved is that you're thinking about building 5 speaker cabinets with 4 drivers in each? Or am I off the mark here?

Your very close. My wife has to approve any speakers going into the HT room so they have to be nice looking. She just doesn't like the look of a traditional MT setup. She liked the slender cabinet of a short line array. Luckily so do I. Currently running a Tuba18(www.billfitzmaurice.com) for lower reinforcement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.