Positionning the port on it...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am currently designing a TQWT for a friend, based on a Supravox 165LB. (I gave up the horn, way too big !!)

The previous enclosures I designed all used a frontal port, a solution that always gives satisfaction due to the synchronised driver and port waves.

My friend has a small room, and I'd like to take advantage of corner and floor loading in my design, involving rather a back or side port than a frontal port.

But I'm quite afraid to encounter phase problems and severe dips and peaks with a port that is not on the front of the enclosure.

I have also heard using a rear port could reduce the midrange output through the port, which is a very good thing.

I'm rather looking for a side port, because it doesn't involve leaving space behind the enclosure.

So I'm asking you, port experts, :smash: what you think about this port stuff, and what you tried with success ! :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Wavelengths at the frequencies the port is operating at are fairly long, so positioning isn't really a problem. The only issue I can see with side mounting ports is that box width is usually the smallest dimension, so if it's long, you might need to put a bend in the port.

youyoung21147 said:
The previous enclosures I designed all used a frontal port, a solution that always gives satisfaction due to the synchronised driver and port waves.
The back wave is out of phase with the front, so there is absolutely no guarantee that putting the port on front will make the two outputs in phase. To the contrary, in fact.

Rear-firing the port gives a little more boundary reinforcement for lows (expecially if near ground). It also attenuates some of the high freqs that aren't supposed to get through the port, but do.

Unless you plan on having the enclosure flush against the wall, I think rear-firing is the way to go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.