Which BLH for linear response down to 40Hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I would like to ask the Experts that which BLH enclosures could give linear response down to 40Hz among the following:
-Fostex recommended enclosure for the FE166 ES-R
-Fostex recommended enclosure for the FE166E
-Hedlund
-Jericho
-BassTuba from HM-moreart
-or altogether suggest a design that could fill the requirements of the 40hZ?

Thanks !

Tyimo

Quick answer: none. To reach down to 40Hz horn ('real' or otherwise) has to be downright huge. That's not what they are either good at or designed for: they all need support from a decent sub in this respect. I reckon your best bet of the ones you mention would be the Hedlund -it's better than most of the horn designs I've modelled in Martin's MathCad sheets, partnered with a decent REL or better, a pair.
Best
Scott

Good idea; I was forgetting the classic horns and drivers. Could I cast a vote for a pair of Tannoy's giant GRF cabinets? Here's a set of excellent plans that can be used in cutting:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/tunnelgap/Tannoy/grf.html
Shouldn't be too tricky to build. Shove a pair of appropriately sized re-built HPD drivers into them -these are underpriced at present compaired to the earlier Silvers, Reds and Golds. Not as good of course, but not bad either. If you don't want the Tannoy Dual Concentric 2 ways, then scour the classifieds for a pair of big (12" or 15") classic Goodmans or Philips full-rangers and use those: with some minor modifications, the cabinets should work quite well with these. Sound is massive with these cabinets.
Best
Scott

Hi!
Thanks for everybody!

Zobsky! Yes, the Replikon is fascinating me too, but the plans are not available on the Hornlautsprecher site yet. :-(

youyoung21147! You are right with the the size problems, but there is one Fostex design what can lightly reach the 35Hz: the Fostex BK208 with FE208E! It has St:177cm2, Sm:1155cm2, Line lenght:232cm. These data are very close to the Fostex recommended enclosure for the FE166 ES-R. This is why I thought that it could go down to 40 Hz.

Scottmoose! I belive in the Hedlund and I would like to make some simulation with MJK's software too. In another thread I already asked about the Hedlund's correct measurements, but I will ask here too:
-what is the correct St (3x23cm?)
-what is the correct Sm (65x23cm?)
-what is the correct line lenght?
-what is the horn contour? exponential?

And one more strange question: I like the Fostex recommended enclosure for the FE103 E. What would happen with the sound quality and with the low cutoff, if I would increase the horn enclosure wide form 15cm to 18 or 20cm??

Thanks and Greets:

Tyimo

Hi Tyimo, the plans are in this thread at the FR forum.
Ron Clark (or is it Clarke) designed it in inches to use .700" plywood. Ron's a very sharp acoustic engineer who uses many programs to design with and is putting the finishing touches on a design that is out of this world. The Dallas II is designed for the Fostex FE206E but can also use the 208 sigma by omitting a piece of the filter chamber. Jeremy used a CAD program to transpose the design to metric and may be willing to share those drawings with you.
Onur is also a member here and is very innovative. He likes to use a program called A J Horn and since he's from a Turkish university his plans will be in metric. His Singular design seems to be his most popular.

Try this

Have you seen this design? I have not built this myself (yet) but I most likely will. Very easy construction and no fancy damping to deal with. Best regards Moray James.

Simplicity, easy to built and very good balanced in combination with drivers having a Qts between 0.3 and 0.6 from which you can choose. If you like your FE206E's in a reflex then you will love them in the SINGULAR for its more efficient loading over a wider range. If you like your Lowther driver in a reflex then you will love them in the SINGULAR even more...

The basic design for this system was initiated by Onur Ilkorur for his own AERmkI drive units, providing a pretty efficient loading over a wide range. The system is not a Bass Reflex which is only efficient for half an octave, it is not a Transmission line with the need of much damping material to dampen all resonances, it is not a TQWP or ML-TQWP but it is a combination of all these systems resulting in a wide-band resonator effective from 40Hz up to 250Hz.

The system is tuned for maximum efficiency using as less damping material as possible, no hornyness or honkyness coming from these using only the few 30mm thick sheets of BAF as shown in the drawings. The only thing you have to find is a good place for them in your room, for more body and bass simply place them closer to the back wall or even in the corner (lowest Q drivers), if there is too much bass or "boom" then simply pull them out of the corner or move them further away from the back wall until you have found your optimal balance.

Below you will find the drawings for our SINGULAR DIY system. Thanks to Dave Johnson (who made these). Click on the link below to download the detailed drawings:

http://www.diy-systems.com/wwwboard...try.php?id=9586

The best material to be used for this system is 18-19mm Birch Ply, as always with full-range drivers, this material gives the most natural tone. The few 30mm thick sheets of BAF should be placed as shown in the drawings.

do the search

This is wierd, I went and did a singular search here on diy and found my post about the singular. When I clicked on the link for the singular it took me straight to all the info. However when I copy it and re post it and then try it again I get an error message.
So do a search under Singular and find the thread on a fostes fe206e (that's how it was spelled and finf the link and it should work for you too. Regards Moray James.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.