Jordan JX92S as surrounds: Overkill?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you can afford them, go for it. IIRC "they" recommend that all five mains are as closely matched as possible for best HT results. Also, listener is supposed to be equidistant from each driver. There's some manual for mastering for 5.1 floating out there, wish I could remember where it was.

If you don't mind spending that much money on speakers that only have a peripheral (hey this is their description !) role, then go for them and you'll have an homogenous system ; otherwise I'd choose the same type of driver but in an inferior range of price (CSS fr125, Fe127, some TangBands...) to have something coherent with the rest of your install. I'd just keep the surrounds fullrange. Dipole might be good for surrounds.

If you have a limited budget, spend more on the sub, it's a hard part if you want it to be really coherent. I think the JX92S deserve a good refined sub, rather than $$$$$ surround speakers. I designed the front satellites of my home theater and now I don't use the sub anymore when I listen to music, it's so awful ! And I only have TB-W3-871S, not Jordans !

Just my 2c :smash:

youyoung21147 said:
If you don't mind spending that much money on speakers that only have a peripheral (hey this is their description !) role, then go for them and you'll have an homogenous system ; otherwise I'd choose the same type of driver but in an inferior range of price (CSS fr125, Fe127, some TangBands...) to have something coherent with the rest of your install. I'd just keep the surrounds fullrange. Dipole might be good for surrounds.

If you have a limited budget, spend more on the sub, it's a hard part if you want it to be really coherent. I think the JX92S deserve a good refined sub, rather than $$$$$ surround speakers. I designed the front satellites of my home theater and now I don't use the sub anymore when I listen to music, it's so awful ! And I only have TB-W3-871S, not Jordans !

Just my 2c :smash:

I think MJ Acoustics has a sub specifically for the Jordan drivers made to spec. You can find their link at the Jordan site.

TB-W3-871S seems to be very popular, although they may not be as good as the Jordans, they should be pretty good. No?

The TB W3-871S are really good for the money. In my home theater they perform pretty good, even used in the front. When I bought them, I mainly wanted to correct the huge non-linearities between the sub and the small satellites I had before. I can say I reached my goal : before, I had +15/-9dB peaks, and now, I have +3/-3 almost everywhere !

Concerning their inner qualitites, they have very good highs, and let appear details I didn't excpect to hear from cheap drivers. They don't have the magic of my FX120 but sound neutral and are clear. Their limit is SPL, but it doesn't matter too much for surrounds which don't have to manage ultra low frequencies.

I cannot say if they could be suitable to complete some Jordans, as I didn't try my FX120 in my HT, but I think they are sufficient for watching movies. If you want 5.1 music on your HT, maybe some Fostex or CSS may be more refined. Don't forget the amplifier AC3 decoder is very important !

Hi, I've have 2 jordans in VTL transmission line (Essence clones). I'm planning now to make 2 surrounds and a center. The surrounds will be Jim Griffin's minimonitors like http://www.briangt.com/gallery/jx92s .
But for the center channel I'm thinking about an enclosure like this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38755&highlight=jordan+jx92s but with the drive in the center of the box like the attachment, with two ports. Is it clear?
What do you think? Is that possible? I have no idea of speaker design :(
That's because I think that central channel deserves a "bigger" or more complete sound that surrounds, and I like that shape to be used under my screen.

best regards, and sorry for my english.

oops... forgot the attachment...

Attachments

• central.jpeg
    central.jpeg
    9.9 KB · Views: 252
huguini said:
Hi, I've have 2 jordans in VTL transmission line (Essence clones). I'm planning now to make 2 surrounds and a center. The surrounds will be Jim Griffin's minimonitors like http://www.briangt.com/gallery/jx92s .
But for the center channel I'm thinking about an enclosure like this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38755&highlight=jordan+jx92s but with the drive in the center of the box like the attachment, with two ports. Is it clear?
What do you think? Is that possible? I have no idea of speaker design :(
That's because I think that central channel deserves a "bigger" or more complete sound that surrounds, and I like that shape to be used under my screen.

best regards, and sorry for my english.

If you have enough room, and some distance behind your seat, the surrounds would probably deserve to be the same as mains. This way you may not even need the subs since you have atleast 4 speakers that go down to probably 40Hz.

Go for the lowest XO point for the sub, depending on your room size, Get a sub that can push preferably more air than 5 Jordans as calculated by the cone area x xmax (make sure that if its Xmax p-p, then use the same for all, some express it one way only).

If you use a separate active sub (such as the one sold at the Jordan site) it would be good to have some phase adjustment to experiment for best effects.

I used Jordan TL for the rear, after using them as fronts. In the place of these Jordan transmission lines I now use the Jordan line array with a Jordan 125 as bass. They match perfectly. It pays to use the same type of drivers all around. Also I find with using Jordan speakers; especially the line array up front, that there is no need for center speakers.

Joe

Yep,

The JX125's or even the JX150's can go low. The organs on my JX125 sound really good, you can feel the sound at the low end. They are good enough that I still have the JX150's sitting there. For HT, I would imagine 4 JX150 would generate enough punch for most home situation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.