FR125S project completed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finaly finished my FR125S speakers and tonight was my first listen, TIGHT BASS....man these things are not even broken in, and I'm getting flack from the wife already :hot:

I have to thank Creative Sound Solutions for making these things available to People like myself who want big sound but don;t want to spend big cash to get it:devilr:

Sound is as good as i expected. they are a tad harsh in what seems to me in the 1k-2k area but nothing serious. Boy these drivers image superbly and are airy....they are very similar to the exelent ELF1.0 kits that CSS sells, but more magical in every department, especialy in the low end.

I have found the perfect speakers for my quad 50E monos & quad33 pre.

THX CSS :)

pics of project:
http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/my-stuff?page=3

Dennis Hui said:
Very nice! I just received my pair and can't
wait to try them out.

Is that the 7L BR enclosure you're using?

Cheers,
Dennis

yes it is...dam I was just listning to some supertramp on them and I'm hearing stuff I've never heard before in the recording. the soundstage is astonishing. Some bad recordings from hendrix sound even worse on these though lol...jazz, clasical, blues, rock and metal sound great, drum & bass is a bit much for these, they can't handle squarepusher with some decent volume. These are the first speakers I've owned that truly disapear...fantastic!

box dimentions are L10.5 x W6.5 x H11 inches

cut list is:

3/4 material
4 pcs 11x9
4 pcs 11x6.5
6 pcs 9x5 (2 for braces)

some 5/8 dowel to brace the driver and 1.5" flared port 5" long.

I pretty much made the same box as on CSS's web site. I just moved the port to the bottom, so i could brace the driver with the dowel....for dampening i used some pillow stuffing polyester, 5$ a pound at a fabric store for curtains and such :D

This morning I turned on my FM tuner...something I rarely do since the 80's. has anyone else noticed FM's decline in sound quality (classical and jazz stations exepted) since the 80's? its funny cause I still use analog equipement and it just doesn't sound like it used to. Anyhow FM is barable on the FR125S....

RockerII said:
They look great. I'm making the same cabinets and they should be painted and assembled by the end of Sunday. I'm putting on a similar finish as well; some DupliColour Textured metallic paint I believe it's called.:cool:

sounds great...post some pics when you're done. I've had the chance to test my speakers some more. I brought them to my cousins house and we hooked them up to a nad 5.1 system. they sounded great as fronts, but when we listened to some music in sterio mode, they used max power before they would clip or "pop"....strange because his reciever is rated 120w rms in sterio, seems I had packed too much dampening in them. I remove some dampening and they are more eficient now, but they still like alot of clean power.

I should also mention speaker placement is crucial on these and smaller rooms work best...

Very nice speakers! They look like a shorter, shallower version of the ones I built. Just FYI though, in a ported box I don't think you're supposed to use damping, just line the walls if anything. Also, how does your bottom firing port work? I'm not quite clear on that since they are on stands... or is it rear-firing?

morbo said:
Very nice speakers! They look like a shorter, shallower version of the ones I built. Just FYI though, in a ported box I don't think you're supposed to use damping, just line the walls if anything. Also, how does your bottom firing port work? I'm not quite clear on that since they are on stands... or is it rear-firing?

they are rear firing. There is very little dampening in there now, they sound awesome either way, as long as you are in the sweet spot. Off axis they are not as good as the tangbangs, but good none the less...

So here's my summer project:

DSC00453.jpg

With grills:
DSC00461.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

DSC00456.jpg

So I went with a metallic copper rather than that textured metallic black. The ports are made of 1.5" PVC pipe with a 1/2" roundover. Input terminals are the small ones from CSS. I'm very impressed with these speakers. The depth and clarity of the midrange is especially impressive. And can these things ever put out some mean bass. Overall a great first project for myself and anyone else looking to get into diy.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I built a pair of the 7L enclosures over the weekend.
I left them sealed, since I didn't have the right size
port around.

The boxes look bad, though with the truckbed lining
coating, the flaws aren't too noticeable if I listen
with my eyes closed. :)

The sound was promising. However, I wonder if
I'm shortchanging the drivers with the sealed
enclosure by not fully utilizing their bass capabilities.

Will have to do more listening next weekend...

Dennis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.