TB W3-871s : Cyburgs Needle or Lancetta

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some holidays left and some TB W871s that could use a new enclosure. So for the next days I want to start building some simple but good enclosures for these drivers.

Anyone have experience with both the Needle and the Lancetta?

I prefer the more acurate bass over the deeper bass. (as fas as this driver can produce any bass at all ;) )

Why not make both, if you put the W871s's on a baffle it will be easy to change them over.

Both boxes look quite small and I think you'd get both of them out of one large MDF sheet.

Be really interesting to hear about the comparison and which ones you eventually prefer.

Jem

I have the TB's in the Buschhorn mk2 now, but there is a big peak in the bass region (Fs?). With most music it's still OK, but with some it sounds really horrible.

I've started on the Needle now. Maybe I'll build the Lancetta's in some weeks. :)

It's great that your making the Needles first!

I've ben in conversation with Keith Garratt about these and he made a pair of Buschhorns, but with FE103's. He then made a pair of Needles with FE83's and after listening for a week or so he reckons that the needles sounded just as good if not slightly better.

Be interesting to hear what you think.

Regards - Jem

The only way to compare the needle with the Buschhorn mk2 will be in mono because I have only 2 drivers. But I have a fairly good idea about the staging etc so only tonal balance will be sufficient to do a fairly good comparison.

I hope the bass wil be a little better on the needles. No need for more bass, as long as it is a little tighter.

If they sound like I think they will sound, these will be some amazing speakers for the money.

Hello !

Maybe I have an interesting design for you. I've just built ML-TQWT enclosures for the W3-871S and they are really good for the money.

I have made 3 trials to buils my home theater satellites, and they where built as "fullrange", so no sub is needed as far as you don't have very "heavy" music material. I built them like if I had built a stereo system.

Bass extends down to 70Hz in open space, but placed against a wall, the frequency response is flattened down to 60Hz. (measurements coming soon lol)

When I listen to music on my home theater they do a better job without any sub, because the bass delivered by the TB speakers is far better than the one given by the sub. You don't have much impact, though, because the speakers are not big, but I didn't excpect such a good result from cheap speakers like that ! Bass is accurate and fast, and piano sounds wonderful on them.

Have a look at my website if you want : http://www.freazer.com/perso/youyoung/sat_ft_871.html

greets

Thanks, thanks, I'm glad you find it good, cuz I think it's something useful in tomorrow's life :smash:

Now, concerning my sub, the left corner is not the best place, but I have no choice anyway :
- my parents don't want to see it in the middle of the living room :D
- it is so small that it cannot extend down to 45Hz in open space
- I only use it for watching movies
- it is a very cheap and very bad sub (a JBL sold with a 200$ speaker package) with an awful amplifier insinde (horrible distorsion!!)

and it makes a nice stand at ear level for the satellite ;). In the corner, the ML-TQWT speaker just sounds fine and natural, and I was very surprised to see it extends down to about 60Hz, and that this position smoothed up the non-linearities in the low end !

A friend of mine comes this afternoon, he built me a stand for the right satellite which sounds a little hollow and not clean due to the floor's bounce.

We'll make measurements together, and I'll put them on my website as soon as I can.

Greets :D

phoenixlau said:
That's good! But only for small room? How about for a big even bigger room? Looking forwad to your next trial and prompt result! TKS!:smash:

In a bigger room, the bass is a little weak. I wouldn't use them without a subwoofer.
Podium, staging and natural sound are still the same as in the small room. Highs are crips and clean. Mids are open with lots of detail.

I realy like these speakers. They have magnificent value for money.

Yes, the W3-871S is definetely one of the best value/price driver ever. They've got much details and highs are very good.

I designed my own enclosure for the TB : how deep does the Needles go ? Do you use them with a notch filter ? Do you feel a hole between 70Hz and 110Hz ? Is the bass clean and punchy ?

I use my enclosures in a big room (~ 40m²) but they don't lack bass at all. But they only go down to 60-70Hz.

Dear Rho,

Interesting report on the Needles, there's a similar one on uk.rec.audio

Personally I'm still amazed at the music they will play effortlessly, It takes a lot of getting used to the fact that the driver is only 3" !!
:)

Thanks I was secretly hoping that you would say what you did.

Jem

rho said:

In a bigger room, the bass is a little weak. I wouldn't use them without a subwoofer.
Podium, staging and natural sound are still the same as in the small room. Highs are crips and clean. Mids are open with lots of detail.

I realy like these speakers. They have magnificent value for money.

youyoung21147 said:
Yes, the W3-871S is definetely one of the best value/price driver ever. They've got much details and highs are very good.

I designed my own enclosure for the TB : how deep does the Needles go ? Do you use them with a notch filter ? Do you feel a hole between 70Hz and 110Hz ? Is the bass clean and punchy ?

I use my enclosures in a big room (~ 40m²) but they don't lack bass at all. But they only go down to 60-70Hz.

I do use the notch filter. I feel that there is some coloration in the high-mids without it. (could be taste)

I do not think there is a dip between 70 and 110hz. Maybe a little but nothing probematic.

Bass is punchy and clean, but it doesn't go deep in larger rooms. In smaler rooms it will go down to about 50Hz I think.
The bushhorn goes even deeper, but then there is too much bass and lower mids compared to the highs and mids. Also bit boomy.

jemraid said:
Dear Rho,

Interesting report on the Needles, there's a similar one on uk.rec.audio

Personally I'm still amazed at the music they will play effortlessly, It takes a lot of getting used to the fact that the driver is only 3" !!
:)

Thanks I was secretly hoping that you would say what you did.

Jem

I was amazed by this little speaker too. My first impression was: Where the hack do all those lower frequencies come from?! :eek:
And then there was :) :) :)
Never tought that a 3" could do this.

First of all: Thanks for the freat design, Cyburgs!!

And now some pictures:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A little shakey

The still need some paint, but I'n not sure about the color yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.