Project for a beginner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2005, 09:29 PM   #1
bg4533 is offline bg4533  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Project for a beginner

I have never built a pair of speakers and I want to start with a simple and relatively cheap pair of fullranges.

The speakers will be for my bedroom. I currently have a pair of Mission M73s, but I am moving and they are a bit big for my room. I am looking to build something bookshelf sized and comparable in sound quality to the Missions. I usually use headphones and these speakers will be mainly for watching videos on the computers and background music. I generally prefer a tubey musical sound.

Can anyone suggest any designs or projects that would work well for me?

Thanks!
Old 24th August 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

You are wanting a full range unit? Try the CSS FR125.

Cal
Old 24th August 2005, 10:29 PM   #3
bg4533 is offline bg4533  United States
diyAudio Member

I want to build a single driver crossoverless speaker to start.

CSS FR125 look nice, but they are a little expensive for my first attempt.

I would like to keep the whole project under $100 at this point. Even less would be nice right now.

Does anyone have any cheap driver suggestions? Also, if you could tell me what type of box to start with it would be helpful ( size, ported, etc).

I am trying to search and find out for myself, but I am still trying to figure out terminology and stuff. A year or so ago I started on DIY electronics and I found the best way for me to learn is to copy and existing project and later modify as I see fit.
Old 24th August 2005, 10:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

bg4533,

My first project was with the CSS WR125s and it turned out to sound better than my B&W 602s3.

If the fr125s are too expensive there are plenty of fostex to try.
There are also tons of other companies to try. You can even try and contact Dave (Planet10) he has tons of vintage drivers and I think some RadioShack 4" drivers too. There is also the full range reference project that I uses the Fostex 127 which has box designs.

I personally think its best to try designing your own box, not having a crossover means you won't be able to really mess things up. I think designing a box is the best part. You build it the way you want it to look. If you post your design the people on the website are more than happy to review your design and help you and give you pointers.

Josh
Old 24th August 2005, 10:47 PM   #5
gamma is offline gamma  Sweden
diyAudio Member

bg4533:

Fostex Fe127e can be something for you?

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...7e_enclrev.pdf

volume is 10 liters tuned to approximately 71Hz (Fb).
Old 25th August 2005, 12:44 AM   #6
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

For simple, small and impressive fullrange output on that budget, you gotta try out the W3-871s.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 26th August 2005, 08:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The TB W3-871S is very good for an inexpensive and easy project. There's been several designs on this forum for it. Another option is the Aurasound NS3. The TB has better highs and the Aurasound has more bass and needs a bit more power. Both have very nice mid-ranges.
http://www.timn8er.com/Aurasound%20NS3.htm
Old 27th August 2005, 11:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
I agree, the TangBands W3-871S are far enough for multimedia purposes !

A project just like what you need : http://www.freazer.com/perso/youyoung/hcw3871s.html

The W3-871S cannot really go low but they have a nice bass developpement, they sound neutral (really linear) and have good highs. They are enough detailed for what you need, but don't excpect from them to equal a good headphone (Koss or those 300$ wonders).
Old 28th August 2005, 08:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

this really is a gread speaker, especially for the minimal ammount of money invovled...

build yourself a pair of those (just ignore the filter, its fine without it) and get a sonic impact T-amp and you'll be in business.

not much in the bass dept tho, but what can you expect, they are 3" drivers!
Old 28th August 2005, 11:41 PM   #10
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My tenpennorth into the pot would be, Cyburgs Needle another design for a 3" drive unit. Very small, light and easy to make. I'm in the UK and made my boxes for £12 and had lots of timber over from the sheet I bought.

With the height of the needles being 35" to the centre of the driver, they are at ear level when sitting. You could try any of the drive units mentioned in the previous posts. There is also the HiVi BS3 which has a nice high QTS and 3 mm Xmax and I think it's quite inexpensive in the USA.

Good luck

Jem

Hide this!Advertise here!