Searching for good 16cm (6.5') fullrange Drivers ... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2005, 03:59 PM   #11
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

At http://www.hornlautsprecher.de you find concepts with large compression chamber and short horn, probably better suitable for the relatively high Vas/Qts of the Supravox than other concepts, and a nice piece of work for a carpenter.
Old 23rd August 2005, 05:54 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
Well, I spoke a little with my friend, he finds this too complicated and too expensive to order the Diatone drivers, or some Cora or anything else.

I asked the master of www.boxen-baustelle.de if he compared the Supravox to other drivers. He told me they are better than Fostex FE166/FE167 but that the Fe208Sigma (old version, with bicone) was slightly better.

So I have the driver, the Supravox 165LB.

Now, the horn : I'm playing with Martin's BLH worksheet, and it looks quite promising : rolls off at arround 40Hz, and f3 at 33Hz !

The horn is quite long, though (140inches) and so is the coupling chamber : 28inches !

The job for me now is to play with all these parameters to fit my friend's room : he's not very happy with the dimensions I told him !

el'Ol : you have a very nice website ! I'll try to simulate different horn shapes to get something not too huge

Well, all I have to do now is to design a (very??) compromised horn !

Thanks for all these replies

Old 24th August 2005, 08:47 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Mmm...

A new element that I couldn't suspect being that good : the FE168E-Sigma, which I eliminated because of its very uneven frequency response in the highs, seems to be better, according to the guy at Boxen-Baustelle. He says the cone has better internal damping than the previous FE168sigma, but has less highs that could be compensated by adding a supertweeter.

Has anyone ever compared this driver to others, such as Jordan JX92, Fostex FX and F series, some FE206 or 207 ... ?
Old 24th August 2005, 01:17 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Searching for good 16cm (6.5') fullrange Drivers ...

Quote:
Originally posted by youyoung21147
A friend wants me to design him a speaker system with a correct impact and nice bass extension down to ~ 35Hz.

He has a budget of arround 450 euros, wood excluded (he's a carpenter )

So, I ask everybody here if they know a 16cm/6.5' driver apart from the Supravox and Fostex that would be suitable for this use, or any other suggestion.
Your friend's requirements (FR, compact, big bass power) made me think of the coming bipole designs using the CSS FR125S and WR125S. Together these two drivers will challenge any 6" driver for bass power, and HF dispersion should be better due to the small cone diameter. Extension I believe will be down to 40 Hz range, in a compact and eye-pleasing TL. No need for a BSC circuit, it's already accomodated for by the rear-firing driver. NOTE: Rumour has it that this speaker system is not SET-friendly.

Creative Sound FRWRBIPOLE - A kit with 1 FR125S, 1WR125S, grilles, dual input cup, hardware, etc, to build any of the 3 designs available soon; Planet_10, Peter Menting and Dr Griffin.
http://www.creativesound.ca/
Old 24th August 2005, 01:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have seen this driver, and plan to use it one day for a punchy cheap system, or in a home theater.

But IMHO, this driver doesn't reach "audiophile" requirements : I own some FX-120 drivers and my friend would like a system which would be at least as refined as these.

I think quality has a price, and this driver is maybe better than a Fostex Fe127, but I doubt it can equal Jordans or Fostex FX series.

Concerning bass-punch, the back horn I'm simulating should do the trick

Thanks for the suggestion !

Old 24th August 2005, 01:42 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But IMHO, this driver doesn't reach "audiophile" requirements
I'm not sure what you read to form that opinion. As an audiophile who's played extensively with WR125S drivers, and played them for my audiophile friends, who all have terribly expensive systems, I respectfully disagree.
Old 24th August 2005, 02:44 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

OK I just said that IMO, but maybe I'm wrong !

I didn't say it is a bad driver (sure it isn't, many people find it good) but am not convinced it can equal the best fullrangers, concerning refinement, until I hear them : it is quite cheap compared to Jordan or Fostex, and its cone looks a little bit "tougher". I like the copper phase plug on them, it's a good concept.

I'd be happy one day if I could compare all the drivers I'm interested in, and it would be one of them, since it seems to have nice bass extension for such a small unit.

Concerning my project, I've found a compromise with my friend, concerning mainly the size of the horn : it will use a Supravox 165GMF in a horn that goes down to 40Hz-0db / 35Hz -3dB

We didn't choose the tweeter : ft17h is a very good cheap candidate but ribbons and horns, 2 or 3 times more expensive, could add something better. Any suggestion ?
Old 24th August 2005, 05:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We didn't choose the tweeter : ft17h is a very good cheap candidate but ribbons and horns, 2 or 3 times more expensive, could add something better. Any suggestion ?
Lots of choice here. Maybe a SEAS? http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

I didn't find that adding a tweeter to the WR125S actually improved the sound. I got more and better highs, but the coherence suffered. Maybe I just didn't come up with the right circuit. In the end I preferred the sound without a tweeter, but I'm not done experimenting. I have a pair of FR125's on the way, so it will be interesting to compare.
Old 24th August 2005, 05:24 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Wow ! really nice link ! It's rare to see such comparatives !

I was rather looking for super-tweeter types, like horns and ribbons because the drivers in this link all have less than 97dB efficiency (at least what I require to match the Supravox), but my friend told me he would add better tweeters later if he wants, and we will begin the project with some FT17H tweeters. They have a good reputation for cheap tweeters

All I have to do now is to find the best horn design, which I'm close to, and to draw the plans, a harsh job to fit correct dimensions !
Old 28th August 2005, 03:18 AM   #20
Jaime is offline Jaime  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

Youyoung

¿you like horns or not?
If You like > FE166E is cheap and FE168EZ is better.
If you don’t like horns > FX120 and the Jordan JX92S is small but powerfull.

I like the 168.

best regards Jaime

Hide this!Advertise here!