Some help needed on my B3N OB computer speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2005, 08:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Some help needed on my B3N OB computer speakers

I built these speakers months ago as a test, never hearing an OB speaker before. I'm really liking the sound of them but was wondering if adding some side "wings" to these would benefit them?

As a test I placed a CD jewel case on each side of a speaker, effectively making the baffle an extra 12" wider. The sound seemed a little bit fuller, with more upper bass and lower mids (I don't have a very good distinguishing ear, but I think those were the regions). I then tilted the jewel cases 45 degrees back and didn't notice much of a difference. After moving them 90 degrees back, effectively making a speaker box minus the back piece, more upper bass / lower mids came out, but I "think" it sounded a little muddied. I do have my computer's EQ in Media Player with the 31hz and 62hz all the way down, which is probably -6 or -12db. Even after turning the 62hz back to normal I can't tell a difference, because I doubt these little guys can even reproduce any usable output at that frequency.

So, do you guys have any recommendations as far as making OB computer speakers with these guys? I could also use a little bit of placement advice. Right now they're about 12 inches from the back wall, and roughly 3 feet away from my ears, creating an equilateral triangle. Would moving them a bit further from the wall help, or is keeping them in an equilateral triangle better? I will be building a sub for these in a few weeks with a single PE DVC 8" sub using dual passive radiators and a 70w plate amp, which will have an F3 of around 43hz.

Thank you VERY much for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg openbaffle.jpg (12.6 KB, 142 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!