Interesting new fullranger from CPC (UK) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2005, 01:48 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

That's based on the torsion box principle (cardboard is the most common example). Two skins glued to an internal grid. Very light, very stiff. It's used in architectural woodworking a lot. My desktop and all the shelving in my office in my house are torsion boxes.

Torsion boxes are very easy to make. Lay your bottom down, glue the spacers in and glue the top on. Whether it's foam or sticks of wood makes no difference. I suspect in this case, the 1/16 inch sticks helps the stiffness quite a bit.

Doug
Old 18th August 2005, 10:39 AM   #22
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's based on the torsion box principle (cardboard is the most common example). Two skins glued to an internal grid.
And they make larger versions that you can build a whole house from (walls and roof). Imagine that, a polystyrene speaker in a polystyrene house!

Bigwill, keep looking out of that window, you don't want to miss the delivery man again!
Old 18th August 2005, 12:03 PM   #23
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Drivers should be here any minute now
Old 18th August 2005, 12:40 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

We expect you to have them set up, running, burned in and a full written report by tea time!
Old 18th August 2005, 01:58 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

My word! They do the top end! These sound really NICE so far! Far more balanced than I thought they would. I have them playing some Pink Floyd on my table at the moment, and they're enjoyable. I need to get these on a baffle! 4 per speaker well spent? I think it may well be!
Old 18th August 2005, 02:02 PM   #26
vmac011 is offline vmac011  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Similar driver to DAI-1CHI from WES Components
http://www.wagner.net.au/speakers/20-General-HiFi.pdf (page 6)

I bought them for A$30 a pair last week as possible replacment for my Audio Nirvana 8". Very good bass, but lacks treble somewhat. It needs tweeter, otherwise fine driver (especially for the price). Good for lovers of mellow "retro" sound. Exellent for male vocals. I've reverted to Nirvana nevertheless - see my post
Audio Nirvana 8" double vented
Old 18th August 2005, 04:22 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

My CPC 5 1/4" jobs do particularly well playing The Doobie Brothers... Think I better try a couple of these 8" versions. I like cheap. Especially when it also sounds good (for the money). Another pair of polystyrene Voigt pipes coming up!
Old 18th August 2005, 05:38 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
My CPC 5 1/4" jobs do particularly well playing The Doobie Brothers... Think I better try a couple of these 8" versions. I like cheap. Especially when it also sounds good (for the money). Another pair of polystyrene Voigt pipes coming up!
They seem to be pretty good. I don't know what happens if you try and crank them yet, they might distort horribly, but I havn't heard any distortion yet.

If you get them, you'll notice the tiny magnets. These don't seem to impact the efficiency much, as they seem to be able to go pretty loud without struggling (I havn't cranked them yet).

I can't comment on the bass yet since I havn't had them on any kind of baffle or in an enclosure.

They sounded better than I thought they would, for 4. Maybe I have cotton ears.
Old 21st August 2005, 09:33 AM   #29
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

>It is made primarily for the mock-up industry, eg for making a model of a product for display purposes

I can't let that pass - any details, Nuuk? Websites?

Colin
Old 21st August 2005, 10:17 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hi Colin, I just spent nearly an hour looking for the damn email but with no luck.

Then I had a look at one of the samples that have here and that had a name that led me to this site !

Just read the spec of the Rohacell foam - you can even bend it!

Hide this!Advertise here!