Interesting new fullranger from CPC (UK)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's based on the torsion box principle (cardboard is the most common example). Two skins glued to an internal grid. Very light, very stiff. It's used in architectural woodworking a lot. My desktop and all the shelving in my office in my house are torsion boxes.

Torsion boxes are very easy to make. Lay your bottom down, glue the spacers in and glue the top on. Whether it's foam or sticks of wood makes no difference. I suspect in this case, the 1/16 inch sticks helps the stiffness quite a bit.

Doug

My word! They do the top end! These sound really NICE so far! Far more balanced than I thought they would. I have them playing some Pink Floyd on my table at the moment, and they're enjoyable. I need to get these on a baffle! £4 per speaker well spent? I think it may well be!

Scottmoose said:
My CPC 5 1/4" jobs do particularly well playing The Doobie Brothers... Think I better try a couple of these 8" versions. I like cheap. Especially when it also sounds good (for the money). Another pair of polystyrene Voigt pipes coming up!

They seem to be pretty good. I don't know what happens if you try and crank them yet, they might distort horribly, but I havn't heard any distortion yet.

If you get them, you'll notice the tiny magnets. These don't seem to impact the efficiency much, as they seem to be able to go pretty loud without struggling (I havn't cranked them yet).

I can't comment on the bass yet since I havn't had them on any kind of baffle or in an enclosure.

They sounded better than I thought they would, for £4. Maybe I have cotton ears.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.