CSS FR125s project webpage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
theNoid said:
Ok, so these aren't finished yet as I want to get the TL design before I mess with final finishes. But anyhow, check out the link here for my thoughts on this great little driver from Bob at CSS.

http://www.palmbayaudio.com/theNoid.html

Noidster

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad to read that you're
gotten good results from a simple sealed box. This is
good news for me since that's about as complex
an enclosure as I can handle. :)

Cheers,
Dennis

Dennis, as far as simple goes, these are the way to go man. Build a nice simple sealed box, throw a little polyfill in there, hook 'em up and mount them and badda-bing...music. While I am no golden ear, I really do appreciate these speakers and have been using them for all of my critical listening and using the big Kenwoods only for house shaking. I really am looking forward to hearing the TL design though, just need to get them assembled, time is running short on me here.

Dave, thanks for "flushing the bowl" man, it was needed. Anyhow, haven't you tried them in a smallish sealed yet? I know you guys are going design crazy up thar with these things, what were your impressions of the small, sealed variety?

Noidster

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
theNoid said:
haven't you tried them in a smallish sealed yet? I know you guys are going design crazy up thar with these things, what were your impressions of the small, sealed variety?

Not yet... i gave on of the 2 pair of FR125s i had back to Bob, & the other pair is in the demo bipoles. We have been busy with other projects, but a sealed (more likely aperiodic) small box is in the works (to mate with a dual Extremis woofer).

dave

planet10 said:
a sealed (more likely aperiodic) small box is in the works (to mate with a dual Extremis woofer).

dave

So this would be one FR125 with two 6.8's? I was thinking of something similar, a pair of WR125ST's to be used as woofers, with a single FR125S, crossed at 250 Hz, first-order on the woofers, second-order on the md/tweeter. Sealed box, with subs below. What do you think?

Right now I have a WR125 crossed to a 7" poly woofer (250Hz, 1st-order woofer, 2nd-order mid) and this seems to have addressed BSC nicely. I'm getting 250-2.5K, +/-1dB.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
audiobomber said:
So this would be one FR125 with two 6.8's?

That was the original intention. We will start with a single push-push sub thou since we have an orphan dual 3886 plate amp handy... the stereo version requires the aquiring (or making) of a pair of plate amps.

I was thinking of something similar, a pair of WR125ST's with a single FR125S, crossed around 250 Hz, first-order on the woofers, second-order on the md/tweeter. Sealed box, and subs below. What do you think?

That is another idea that has been floating around already as well. Integration should be seemless, and you could probably make a series XO work here.

One of our projects on the go is a pr of vintage Coral 8s XOed to a limited edition 3" tangband. There is a lot of potential for these kinds of systems (called FAST, but i still haven't found a reference that expands the acromym)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.