Back Loaded Horn with FOSTEX, some questions... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2005, 08:36 PM   #1
Guijs is offline Guijs  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default Back Loaded Horn with FOSTEX, some questions...

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum . I'm planning on building a BLHorn to use with Fostex speakers, but i'm not shure wich driver to use. I have in mind the FE168ez Sigma, FE208E Sigma (old one) and FE208ez Sigma (the new) and I have some questions:

1) The old FE208e goes up to 20khz, the new one goes up to 14khz and needs a tweeter (Fostex recomend the http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexdrivers/t90arev.pdf U$141 each). The old one is really better than the new one, or I'll need a tweeter anyway?

2) My room have only 14m^2, would the FE168ez be a better choice over the 8'' Sigma's, giving sufficient bass? Plus it goes up 21khz!

3) Fostex recommend the T90A tweeter, wich is expensive (U$141). The Fountek NeoCD Ribbon tweeter costs U$83 could be a better choice? There is another not so expensive driver?

4) I'll make a BLHorn. The Fostex recommended plan are the better ones?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
Old 3rd August 2005, 11:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'd go with the FE168Esigma and the Fostex design. It doesn't need a tweeter, so instant saving there, and it doesn't need such a large room as the larger drivers, so will probably better match what you have than they would. I like the Fostex cabinets (I'm going to be building a doubled FE103E cabinet very soon -I've already built a pair to the original single-horn design and loved them), but there are other options available too, though they won't be as easy to build. Swan! Who said that?!

Cheers
Scott.
Old 4th August 2005, 01:23 AM   #3
robertG is offline robertG  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Some answers and some more questions

I had three pairs of FE168EZ (all Fostex cabs), two FE108EZ (Fostex cabs) but no FE208EZ.

If money is no object, go with the new FE208EZ. Main reason is that the FE168EZ is sometimes annoying (beaming issue). Having a seperate tweeter gives you a whole lot more control over the sound (you can use the 208 FR or roll it off a little, then add a ST to taste).

Not so with the FE168EZ, you live with what you got, unless you roll the highs and add a ST (or experiment with resistors). So it's kind of a no-brainer.

Also, both Fostex specs for FE168EZ and FE208EZ are almost the same size (BIG!).

Question, do you like bass? Do you plan to use a sub? if so, may I suggest you try a FE108EZ? This may seems like an odd proposition, but the highs in the FE108EZ are much more smooth and better dispersed than the FE168EZ, the bass extension is almost the same (but it's a non issue with a sub), except that it won't play as loud. But if you are not looking for ear splitting levels, overall, I think it's a better choice.

Ribbon ST are a real good match for the FE208EZ (none needed for FE168EZ and FE108EZ).
Old 4th August 2005, 07:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for post Scott.

The FE168ez, alone, give good quality on the highs? Tonal quality on drums plates for example?
Old 4th August 2005, 07:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Robert,

I hear on normal (moderate?) listening levels. I'm not going to use subwoofers, but I want acurrate bass. The FE208ez doesn't need any crossover right, just the tweeter with a 0,68-1,0uF capacitor? How low can the FE208ez go?

I like Jazz, Blues, and rock. But not opera and orchestra. I'll use a DIY Tube amplifier with 5 to 15wrms.
Old 4th August 2005, 01:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default How Low is Low

All three Sigmas will reproduce correctly double-bass fundamental notes with lifelike quality.

I'd say the main quality of these IS the bass and mid-bass reproduction (and of course the midrange). Air is very efficiently moved by BLH, and double-bass, kick drum, grand piano and all percussive instruments sound marvelous.

BUT, some people want low bass (like 20-40Hz), and these won't provide AT ALL. The horn will unload the driver at these frequencies and since they have very little excursion capability they will bottom out if you force them to play very low.

Fortunately, there is NO bass content in acoustic music below 40Hz, so you should be happy with any of the Sigma drivers (in BLH).

By the way, they take a very long time to break-in, so you need to be very patient.
Old 4th August 2005, 08:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

So do you think that the FE208ez + Fountek ribbon tweeter will be the best way to go? I found the old FE208 Sigma for less than the new one. Is this better?

Thanks for all the Help!
Old 4th August 2005, 10:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Frankly, I didn't listen to any of them (old and new one). I'd go with the new one for two reasons:
1. No wheezer on the new one;
2. Better directivity and tone control (because of the added tweeter, and the abscence of wheezer).
Old 5th August 2005, 10:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

FE208ez + Fountek combination seems like the best way to go! But, I have a weird question .... Can I put the BLH upside down? Because the speaker will be in a big bookshelf, and it needs to be upside down for the driver to be in my hears level...
Old 5th August 2005, 11:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sure. But the bookshelf will need to be very very sturdy to hold approx. 50 kg...

Hide this!Advertise here!