Double Fostex FE103E horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2005, 02:17 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Double Fostex FE103E horn

Anyone recognise or know who built these (on left!)? I'd love to give this a go; I'd been thinking about possibly doubling the factory design for a while, then accidentally ran across this picture on another forum (I think, but I can't remember where!), so it's nice to know someone's done it before.

My slight concern though is the compression chamber, or rather, the two passages leading from it: the layout would seem to dictate they would be directly behind the driver, which shurely isn't the best plan? Or am I worrying over nothing here? I remember Terry Cain mentioning it's possible to double the factory 166 design with good results, providing you keep the original compresison chamber volume, or only fractionally increase it. I haven't simulated these in MathCad yet (I'm sure I don't want to know!), I just fancy giving it a try for fun.

Cheers for now
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doublefe103ehorn.jpg (50.0 KB, 1099 views)
Old 2nd August 2005, 07:56 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Double Fostex FE103E horn

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Anyone recognise or know who built these (on left!)?
I'm thinking someone on the FR Forum.

James has just moved to yet another forum software (thank goodness) so don't know how available the archives are.

dave
Old 2nd August 2005, 08:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cheers for that Dave: I was beginning to suspect it might have been there. I hadn't spent much time on James' full-range forum in the past due to the sluggish performance (I've known quicker 3-toed sloths on low-grade smack), but I did have a glance occasionally. That must have been where I spotted it.

I noticed yesterday that James had some new forum software up -it looks like a great improvement over the old one, though I'm not sure if the archives are up yet. I'll have a gander now and see what gives; I'll ask around there too & see if anyone recognises it.

All the best
Scott
Old 2nd August 2005, 09:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Cain & Cain

Hi Scott,

the double horn is Terry Cain's (Cain & Cain) design. Plans are not available as I know. www.cain-cain.com/audio

Regards
Thorsten
Old 2nd August 2005, 10:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I remeber these on the fullrange driver forum. They obviously get thier looks from the Cain&Cain line, but they were built for a contest in Toronto a couple of years back. I don't know who built them but it was not Terry Cain as far as I know. I believe internally they are just two fostex recomended cabs stacked on top of each other. I could be wrong about that. There is a lady on the fullrange driver forum who was at the contest (best enclosure for the fe103), she might know more.
Joe
Old 3rd August 2005, 03:07 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Josephjcole
I remeber these on the fullrange driver forum. They obviously get thier looks from the Cain&Cain line, but they were built for a contest in Toronto a couple of years back. I don't know who built them but it was not Terry Cain as far as I know. I believe internally they are just two fostex recomended cabs stacked on top of each other.
That is my recall on it, except the gig was in Montreal... i have a link somewhere.

dave
Old 3rd August 2005, 08:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I didn't think they were Terry's, they did look like a mirrored standeard 103 Fostex box; although they were obviously inspired by his large Double BEN designs -now he's got an equivelent product out, but using the 108ESigma, so there seems to be merit in the idea of the smaller driver with a double-horn. I've asked over at the full-range driver forum too, so it'll be interesting to see what turns up. As I mentioned in my previous post; I'm curious about the compression-chamber and throat positions leading away from it, and how to optimise these. I can't resist: two FE103Es are on the way!
Scott
Old 3rd August 2005, 07:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

http://translate.google.com/translat...l%3Den%26lr%3D

Look on the index on the left for the "FE10e" contest winners.
It was a contest using only the fe103 ~ 3 years ago iirc in Montreal.

Andrew
Old 3rd August 2005, 09:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Bingo! Many thanks for finding it Andrew!

So, now I know it's possible; I'll give it a go. Rightly or wrongly, I'm not going to worry too much about the twin throats being right behind the driver now, though I might add a couple of angled pieces flaring out from the central point. I'll just mirror the whole thing and see what happens, albeit reducing the internal volume of the compression chamber a bit. Wish me luck!

A contest for only 1 driver type, and a high quality, affordable one at that -what a good idea! Perhaps we should organise some like this in our different regions for a bit of fun. Or if not a context, then a few more DIY listening events perhaps. There isn't much in the UK (at least not in the North of the UK) which is a pity.

All the best
Scott
Old 3rd August 2005, 10:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm not trying to burst your bubble here but have you ever heard the Fostex 103 horn cabinet design. I found the my modified Buschorn (which turned out to be very similar to the Buschorn Mk II when it came out later) sounded much better.

I built a pair of the Fostex horns and after many attempts at getting them to sound even half decent ended up throwing them in the garbage skip behind my office.

This is of course my experience, others have said the opposite.

Andrew

Hide this!Advertise here!