Goodmans 201's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2005, 10:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Goodmans 201's

Just bought a pair of 201's with Trebax horns in a IB box. I intend to play about with them mounted on an open baffle plate.

In a room 14X9' firing down the room what size baffle should I use and where to mount the speakers (offset?). I'll use any suggestions as starting point to experiment.

I'm currently using Magneplanar MMg's with a valve amp and want to see what the fuss is about with full range speakers.

Any comments / suggestions are very welcome

Kev
Old 26th July 2005, 10:56 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This might interest you:
http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/loudspeakers2.html

As an alternative experiment, I'd try a 4'x3' sheet of MDF to start with, the driver slightly offset from the centre (about 6" diagonal) as a start and see what gives. Try starting at 2 feet from the rear wall and work forwards.

So far as I'm aware, there's no decent OB modelling software, bar Martin King's MathCad sheet, which he hasn't completed yet, and probably won't release even when it is, thanks so some loathsome little tykes taking advantage of all his hard work just to line their own pockets. Pity; but I don't blame him (quite the reverse: I support his stance wholeheartedly).

Cheers
Scott
Old 27th July 2005, 12:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default The Edge

'there's no decent OB modelling software' - I don't agree,
try 'the Edge' (i'm sure someone here will have the link);

Pete McK
Old 27th July 2005, 07:58 AM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You can read about my 201 open-baffles here (the link quoted about is to the old site which is no longer updated).

I assume you bought the 201's in the cabinets off Ebay UK this week Kevin?
Old 27th July 2005, 09:17 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

I assume you bought the 201's in the cabinets off Ebay UK this week Kevin?

Yes, picking them up this Saurday. I've seen your site and this and the Ciare250 thread were influencers in my decision to buy these. I noticed they are being used in a room much bigger than mine, hence the question about baffle size.

I was hoping to use smaller baffles than 4'X3' as this will completely dominate the end of my room being only 9'wide.

My amp will be rewired to triode mode from UL to reduce the power as the quoted sensitivity on these speakers is miles higher than on my current speakers.

THanks for the replies

Kev
Old 27th July 2005, 10:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Kev, you could go for smaller baffles but I think that you may find that you need a sub (or some EQ).
Old 27th July 2005, 11:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I notice that your Goodmans share the baffle with a tweeter, what is it, where do you cross it over and what xover do you use?

I think I'll start with a copy of your baffle and experiment with wings. If I need a sub I'll do some research as your TL subs will simply be too big. Annoying in many respects but WAF is a major consideration, SWMBO is not understanding about these matters.

Kev
Old 27th July 2005, 12:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The tweeters come from CPC (can't remember the exact code) and are silk domes costing around a fiver each!

Even living here on my own, I find the TL's rather large. I went with them as I had the drivers but I would prefer OB subs given the choice.

The one advantage of the TL's is that you can build a couple and if SWMBO doesn't like them, you just say "Fine dear you can throw them out while I am at work" knowing full well that she won't even be able to lift one!
Old 27th July 2005, 02:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I'm shocked no one's mentioned the JE Labs OB. Several people over on AA (ivan303 in particular, I think) have had great success with the 201 on this baffle.

JE Labs OB
Old 28th July 2005, 02:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

True -I haven't tried that one myself I admit, though I know it, and thought about trying one out at some point: I've only dabbled with OBs so far.
My gut feeling is that with a baffle much smaller than 4'x3', you're going to need some serious eq due to the acoustic cancellation. I hope to be proved wrong though!

Hide this!Advertise here!