fullrange dipole with Qts 0.25 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th July 2005, 08:10 PM   #11
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

The tubes are PVC inside and outside with some porous substance between that dampens very well. Front and rear are OSB, sides are Douglas fir to get good vibration transfer to the rear, where the vibes are swallowed by dampening material between speakers and wall.
Old 19th July 2005, 12:39 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default wow,

that's a work of art...
cool.
Pete McK
Old 19th July 2005, 07:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Default Re: wow,

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteMcK
that's a work of art...
cool.
Pete McK
Art to some, but something that looks like it belongs in a dumpster to others.
Old 20th July 2005, 05:59 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Those are really cool. I love the outside the box thinking. Have you tried lengthening (or shortening) the tube part?

Doug
Old 20th July 2005, 06:49 AM   #15
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

The tube is attached to the enclosure via a hinge, so the horn throat can be adjusted. I was doing philosophy about my design yesterday: The horn is very short, so it is a hybrid between horn and BR. The compression chamber is open at bottom and top, so it is also a TL. The open design to three directions is like an OB. And the enclosure material (OSB) makes it a resonating enclosure. So it works according to all speaker principles I know. Listening to Stravinsky I found the bass is a bit tiny. I will build the recomended BLH design for the FE126E for comparison. I am no longer so shure that such a bit horn loading is a reason to use a Qts 0.25 driver. An alternative would be the the FE127E, the Ciare HX132, or the Supravox 165LB.
The Fostexes are not as bad as I thought. My glycerol threatment has showed results in the wet weather the last days. The cone has sucked up a lot of water and the treble is a lot softer now.

Hide this!Advertise here!