Advice sought on 3" driver for this enclosure - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2005, 02:14 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

That's unfortunate. The theory is the "sensors" in our ears that react to high frequencies are nearer the entrance to the inner ear than the ones for low frequencies. As a result, they are stimulated by every sound and "wear out" before the low frequency "sensors". This is why nearly everyone suffers from high frequency loss as they get older. When you think about it, we live in a noisy world.
Old 19th July 2005, 02:48 AM   #12
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taperwood
Anyway, I'm going to order the Aura's and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Doug
Glad to help... and with your hearing, it is probably all the fullrange you need! It's been a while since I've had my hearing checked, but metalwork recently and Navy airplane engines back when, can't have been good for me

HUH? WHAT?
Old 19th July 2005, 03:12 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

With me, it could have been a really bad ear infection when I was a child, or rock music when I was a teenager, or working around wood saws for 20 years (although I always wore ear protection then, and my hearing was tested every five years and tested fine for my age). Nothing I can do about it now. Otherwise, I hear just fine.

If you want to test your hearing acuity, the NCH tone generator is a great free program. Just hook up an amp to your computer. Although, on my computer, you can't actually install it but must right click on the NCH icon and use the "run as" command. If you do this, I think you will be surprised at just how high a 12-13k tone is.

Doug
Old 19th July 2005, 04:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Maybe a little OT but I've noticed listeners commenting about a "bright" speaker thinking it's got a peak at 10k when it's actually 3k, still in the "mid-range".
Old 19th July 2005, 05:46 PM   #15
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

The Hi-Vi B3S could fit your enclosure as well. (sealed though)
Itīll have a slight bump that should sound alright for surrounds;
alternatively you could use a series cap to flatten it out and squeeze a tiny bit more bass out of it.

greets
Old 19th July 2005, 09:02 PM   #16
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe a little OT but I've noticed listeners commenting about a "bright" speaker thinking it's got a peak at 10k when it's actually 3k, still in the "mid-range".
I call that "midrange too forward"

-Ken
Old 19th July 2005, 11:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kec

I call that "midrange too forward"

-Ken
Me too but I often just say nothing and smile.

Old 20th July 2005, 03:14 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
Yup, that might have been me a year ago, but now that I know what a 10k tone sounds like, I hope I wouldn't make that mistake now. A 10K tone is painful to me at a volume above normal speech.

Quote:
Originally posted by joensd
The Hi-Vi B3S could fit your enclosure as well. (sealed though)
Itīll have a slight bump that should sound alright for surrounds;
alternatively you could use a series cap to flatten it out and squeeze a tiny bit more bass out of it.

greets
Thanks Jens. However, just this morning I ordered the Auras. I will keep these drivers in mind, though, as I may want to build more for friends, etc.

Doug
Old 20th July 2005, 08:22 AM   #19
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Havenīt heard the Hi-Vi but believe if they are any better than the Tangbands they should be alright really.
http://www.zaphaudio.com/minitest/
http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

greets&happy building

Hide this!Advertise here!