Pioneer 8" fun - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2005, 12:19 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edjosh23
These speakers still need time to break in (I hope) because they don't sound that great. They sound is a little thin. Great bass responce though. Really great bass actually.

Good work. With regards to the thin sound, you can try experimenting with some different tweeters. A cheap tweeter with about 1uF may do the trick. See the following links for more info about the Pioneer driver.

http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYBX16.html

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/cs-amps-speakers.pdf

There is a lot of good information in the above two links.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 25th July 2005, 02:01 PM   #22
jeremym is offline jeremym  Canada
diyAudio Member

After reading this thread I decided to screw around with some B51 drivers I had from an old project. I whipped up a pair of bass reflex cabs tuned to around 50 hz, and slapped in the drivers. Not bad at all. The bass is impressive for a FR driver, and the overall presentation is smooth and inoffensive. Doesn't need much power either. It really cries out for a tweeter though. Good bang for the buck.
Old 26th July 2005, 04:44 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

jeremym,

I was in search of a reall full range driver for many months and the only driver I could come up with was the discontinuesd FX200. That is what modelled best of all the drivers I looked at. I've decided I like ull range drivers more than multiway speakers.

I decided to try adding a tweeter, it was an old technics horn tweeter I had laying around, but I am pretty happy with the results. I tried seeing just how loud these pioneers go, and man do they get loud. They can handle a lot of power, a lot more than the wr125s.

I was unaware the pioneer was one the single driver website, I thought I read the entire website, but I guess I missed that one.

Thanks,

Josh
Old 26th July 2005, 06:28 AM   #24
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Nelson - What the heck are you going to do w/ 200 of those drivers?!!!
Old 26th July 2005, 02:04 PM   #25
jeremym is offline jeremym  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
jeremym,

I was in search of a reall full range driver for many months and the only driver I could come up with was the discontinuesd FX200. That is what modelled best of all the drivers I looked at. I've decided I like ull range drivers more than multiway speakers.

I had a set of FX200 drivers in an ML TL for a number of months, but I ended up selling them and picking up some FE206's. The FX200s were pretty good-nice highs, but I prefer the 206's in a BLH hands down. Anyway, there are tons of great FR drivers out there, it's an addiction. I'm running out of space in my living room.
Old 26th July 2005, 06:32 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nelson - What the heck are you going to do w/ 200 of those drivers?!!!
Hasn't Nelson already dropped a hint?

"With a high impedance source, say 8 to 15 ohms, it does quite well."

So Nelson is probably going to offer these Pioneer FR drivers in a custom designed box along with the F3 amps OR the F3s could be part of an active speaker system (with a single speaker, ofcourse) like Nelson's other active speaker, viz., Rushmore.

By the way Nelson, David Dicks must have got in touch with you regarding his Audio Nirvana 8" dual cone offerings. Have you been able to test these and compare them with the Fostex 8" drivers? Thanks for the input.
Old 26th July 2005, 06:39 PM   #27
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by Samuel Jayaraj
So Nelson is probably going to offer these Pioneer FR drivers in a custom designed box along with the F3 amps OR the F3s could be part of an active speaker system (with a single speaker, ofcourse) like Nelson's other active speaker, viz., Rushmore.

By the way Nelson, David Dicks must have got in touch with you regarding his Audio Nirvana 8" dual cone offerings. Have you been able to test these and compare them with the Fostex 8" drivers? Thanks for the input.
It may be that RenoMark will work up a promotion to package
them with F2's for guys who want to build some boxes and
get their feet wet.

And we do have a pair of the Audio Nirvanas on the way.
Old 24th August 2005, 09:57 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Well by now these speakers are definately broken in and sound pretty good. The lower midrange/upper bass is great and one of my friends want a pair.

I was wondering what removing the wizzer would do to the sound? Will it, by any chance, liven up the upper midrange or lower treble like I've heard it does to other drivers?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 24th August 2005, 10:36 PM   #29
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

If you had 200 pairs you could find out!
Actually I have a pair now too and am suddenly a lot more interested in people's ideas. Anyone else recently used these droivers?
Old 25th August 2005, 12:29 AM   #30
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well by now these speakers are definately broken in and sound pretty good. The lower midrange/upper bass is great and one of my friends want a pair.

I was wondering what removing the wizzer would do to the sound? Will it, by any chance, liven up the upper midrange or lower treble like I've heard it does to other drivers?

Thanks,

Josh
removing the whizzer will reduce the high frequencies. If that's what you wanted to do, I daresay you might try http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-042 or http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-063

try a coat or two of damar on the whizzer / main cone if you want to play around with altering the tone of these speakers.

if you really wanted to get adventurous, ...try horn loading the b20 (it's a low qts driver anyway)

Hide this!Advertise here!