167 in BK-16 horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2005, 06:35 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 167 in BK-16 horn

I have some of these drivers laying around. I'd like to hear some opinions as to whether they would work well with the BK-16 from Madisound. I'd like to try a horn out for the first time, but I'm not really dying to buy new drivers. My understading is that the 167 is more suited to a BR, but maybe there are some tweaks that would let it work with Madisound's flat-pack kits.
Old 12th July 2005, 06:05 AM   #2
jim_vt is offline jim_vt  United States
diyAudio Member

I was wondering almost the same thing, except I was wondering about the 166E/166ES-R drivers. From what I've been told and read, it could work, but as a compromise. Would be helpful if someone with actual experience with the drivers could give a review though
Old 12th July 2005, 02:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am currently using a pair of 166e's in the BK-16 (the FE166 and FF165 have very similar specs). Still tweaking it but I enjoy them. They sent a pair of meadowlark Kestrel Hot Rods to the bedroom. Not much bass below 65hz, but what is there is good imho. I think another horn would provide a few more hz extension, but this one is easy and cheap to build.

Sean.
Old 16th July 2005, 01:43 AM   #4
oface is offline oface  United States
diyAudio Member

I have had experince wit hthe 166e's myself,

I dont think that it isn't that bad,, especially for the price.

And yes , they dont put out much below around 65hz, but i augument with a sub .

I would also look at reinforcing those cabs, but you can always build other types of exclosers if you like and expound upon that exp of building the bk-16's..

I built them and got into the single driver /blh thign with them . I didn't buy the kit , just found some plans and built them , but used the 166e driver instead. not too bad, .

I plan on building something else later on ,based on those drivers, when i get the time.

good luck ,,,,

chris
Old 16th July 2005, 03:13 AM   #5
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you already have 'em laying around, you might check out Bob Brines's Ft1600's. These drivers work very well in this MLTL, solid bass down to around 40hz. It's an easy build too.

Hide this!Advertise here!