Jordan JX92S Center Channel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2005, 10:43 PM   #1
xcortes is offline xcortes  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Default Jordan JX92S Center Channel

I'm building a Jordan JX92S based home theater system.

The main speakers will be the Jordan design Transmission lines. The surround will be based on Dr Griffin's minimonitors (the earlier ones withouth the tweeter).

I have not, however, settled on a center channel design. The only requirement I have is that I donīt want it to be deeper than the mains (and the plasma tv) so 15 cm is the max depth. This shouldn't be a problem with the Jordans. It should also fit below the tv so approx 75/80cm height is the max.

I can use as many as three drivers and they can be individually amplified as I'm building a multichannel amp.

The options are:

1. A single JX92S.
2. A single JX92S and a G2Si ribbon tweeter. Probably crossed over at 3k (based on Dr Griffin's new minimonitor design) with line level xo's. This would provide me with better horizontal dispersion.
3. Two JX92S drivers and a GS2i (also crossing at 3K -line level- and triamping). This idea attracts me because I think I could use the additional SPL (since the amplifiers will be somewhere around 30 watts per channel). I've read that the usual way of placing this kind of center channels (horizontally) is not good for dispersion but I could set the "array" vertically.

I will appreciate any ideas,

xavier
Old 5th July 2005, 10:54 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

It's just as well your display is a plasma. Ribbon tweeters have an awful lot of leakage flux and would cause huge purity errors on a CRT.
Old 6th July 2005, 01:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Jordan JX92S Center Channel

Xavier,

You asked about the following for a center channel application:

1. "A single JX92S."

Very good choice for a center and could be used vertically or horizontally for a lower profile.

2. "A single JX92S and a G2Si ribbon tweeter. Probably crossed over at 3k (based on Dr Griffin's new minimonitor design) with line level xo's. This would provide me with better horizontal dispersion."

I have done this before with good results. If you use the enclosure in the horizontal position, just clock the ribbon tweeter 90 degrees so that the ribbon is vertical.

If you are using a home theater subwoofer, I would use the new JX92S/ribbon minimonitor design for the left and right speakers and then use the JX92S alone in the surrounds as you suggested in your post. Just set-up the HT so that all minimonitors are 'small' and thus route all low bass to the sub. You'll not get serious bass from the Jordan TL configuration any way for a HT configuration.

3. "Two JX92S drivers and a GS2i (also crossing at 3K -line level- and triamping). This idea attracts me because I think I could use the additional SPL (since the amplifiers will be somewhere around 30 watts per channel). I've read that the usual way of placing this kind of center channels (horizontally) is not good for dispersion but I could set the "array" vertically."

A MTM configuration like you suggest is not recommended with this choice of drivers. With a MTM you would need to crossover lower in frequency--say 2000 Hz which is much too low for the G2si.

Finally, the Aurum Cantus G2si (and all their other ribbons) are well shielded so that operation near a CRT or plasma TV is not an issue as suggested by EC8010.

Jim
Old 6th July 2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I recently experimented with GM's MLTL as speakers for a projector/home cinema arrangement, either side of the screen and toed in the recommended amount (ie crossing well in front of the listening position). I didn't feel any need for a centre channel as the dialogue etc imaged very well. However, I appreciate HT set up is rather different from music-only.

Colin
Old 6th July 2005, 03:33 PM   #5
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
FWIW, I recently experimented with GM's MLTL as speakers for a projector/home cinema arrangement, either side of the screen and toed in the recommended amount (ie crossing well in front of the listening position). I didn't feel any need for a centre channel as the dialogue etc imaged very well. However, I appreciate HT set up is rather different from music-only.

Colin

HT setups are just because the decoding of proccessed sound requires a center channel.
Old 7th July 2005, 03:16 PM   #6
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
FWIW, I recently experimented with GM's MLTL as speakers for a projector/home cinema arrangement, either side of the screen and toed in the recommended amount (ie crossing well in front of the listening position). I didn't feel any need for a centre channel as the dialogue etc imaged very well. However, I appreciate HT set up is rather different from music-only.Colin
I assume you did not feel the need for the ribbon either. what about using MLTL for left and right and a really small sealed box for the rears. how small a box can the JX92 live with. 4-5L?
Old 7th July 2005, 08:29 PM   #7
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Navin

It was a very brief experiment - I happened to have my hands on a data projector for a talk I was giving and couldn't resist trying it out ... I'm not really a fan of HT surround.

I run the JX92s without any ribbon HF - running in GM's taller MLTL, they sound fine and I wouldn't want to risk upsetting the holographic imaging. But I do use them with the recommended toe-in.

According to the Jordan site, the smallest enclosure suitable for the driver is 3L.

Colin
Old 7th July 2005, 10:50 PM   #8
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

You definately don't need (or want) a center channel - so long as all your listeners are centered between the L & R speakers. For me, that is almost never the case, I don't usually watch movies by myself. I built a center channel using one CSS WR125 (which is probably similar in output capablity to the JX92), and find that it is sounds great! Dialogue in particular is crystal clear, even when soft or whispered, I don't know if this is because there's no crossover, but it is certainly the best dialogue reproduction I've heard.

I cross over at 100hz and have no problems with reaching volumes at which my sub starts bottoming, so long as I cross them center over at 100hz in my receiver. Then again my room is fairly small, in a large room I would probably want to cross it over higher. As for the HF dispersion, I wouldnt worry about it too much, unless the money for the ribbon+xo is burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 8th July 2005, 04:36 AM   #9
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by morbo
You definately don't need (or want) a center channel - so long as all your listeners are centered between the L & R speakers....
I cross over at 100hz and have no problems with reaching volumes at which my sub starts bottoming, ...As for the HF dispersion, I wouldnt worry about it too much, unless the money for the ribbon+xo is burning a hole in your pocket.
1. if you dont use center then what does one do with the center channel output from the decoder. do you direct it to other channels if so how?

2. 2 reasonsI dont like the ribbon. (a) you need an XO - I would not mind a simple 6db XO and let the fullrange run wide open but anything more it a headache to design right (b) cost

only i wonder if the JX92 HF dispersion will suit HT.

3. Given the price of the FR125 would you say that one could use the FR125 in a 1.5 way v/s a JX92 as a fullrange. It would cost the same.
Old 8th July 2005, 04:45 AM   #10
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

navin - in answer to your questions

1. the surround decoder sends the center channel info to the L & R speakers creating a 'phantom' center. The sound is centered between them, just like in a stereo recording when a singer is dead center in the soundstage. Only works when sitting near the sweet spot though, otherwise the image pulls to one side or other

3. I'm sure you could do a 1.5way. Personally, I don't find the need, output is fine, and in my experience there is little need for BSC as the WR in a ported box has a bit of an upwards tilt in the midbass-bass area (model it to see what I mean) and if mounted flush with the TV screen its effective baffle becomes very large anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!