Jordan JX92S Center Channel - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2005, 04:38 PM   #21
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RAW
As for the data taken on the FR125S.
Not a manufactures data at all far from it.
Testes were take by Dan Wiggins of Adire on a standard IEC baffle.
AS well these were not proto types they were some picked out of the batch before the shipment was sent via water and these came by AIR.

So I hope this helps out with a little unrest about the data that is provided.

I would be the same way if I did not know first hand for sure the data is correct.

Al
Click the image to open in full size.
Where can the data be found?
Old 15th July 2005, 05:09 PM   #22
RAW is offline RAW  Canada
diyAudio Member

http://www.creativesound.ca/index.html

Don't think you will miss it

Al
Old 15th July 2005, 05:53 PM   #23
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by Triumph
I still would recommend the Jordan you have more bass.
I think a supertweeter is a wonderful asset to a fullrange driver.....And I let them listen with or without supertweeter and BSC because I have made two switches in the circuit. Everyone agrees the tweeter adds sparkle and dynamics in it. The credit is not mine, the design is from a German magazine. I only did it with a JX92s.... [/B]
thank you for this contribution. you dont contribute very often but when you do it is fantastic.

A JX92+EB Cantare system would run me about Euro 200 each for drivers alone. I guess I better start saving. I intend to save for about 1 year for this (1000 Euros is about my monthly income and I am well paid in India) so if I save 100 Euro per month it will work. I have to account for import duties as well.

I can see from the picture you are using the JX92+EB Cantare for your center channel. Are you using the same speaker for all 5 channels?

Did your friends prefer the BSC or no BSC (with tweeter)? Since my system will be wall mounted I think I cna get by without the BSC. Also since my rear speakers will have a volume near 5 Liters the BSC will only be 1mh with 4.7ohms.

I am leaning towards minimal BSC (see above) plus tweeter. the reason being that I find winding air core inductors upto 1mh with 14SWG wire diffcult but above 1mh is really tough.

Again I really thank you for this contribution.

Al, no hard feelings but I can and will wait for quite some time to decide between the FR125 (or any later version), JX92S and/or Fostex FX120 (esp if they can improve the Xmax).
Old 15th July 2005, 07:59 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

The so called BSC is not just for baffle compensation. The driver it self has different radiation strengths and patterns that vary with frequency. What the compensation does is that it compensates for the effects if dispersion pattern and its effect on FR of the driver. Not all drivers need this. But for those that do, you can refer to this post for some ideas.

Introducing the FleXoNotch®
Old 18th July 2005, 07:38 PM   #25
Triumph is offline Triumph  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Navin,

You can save a lot of money on the rearspeakers if you look for a cheaper alternative. They are less important.
I suggest one from the Tang Band series for example the W4-455S with an Fs from 65 Hz . You can build it in a closed box form about 8 liter. It only cost 25 euro!!!! Or the W4-657SC with an Fs from 46 Hz but needs a larger box. But there is a lot more in that quality and price range.

The front speakers are the most important, don’t save on them.

Now something honest. I have been in India myself I know a bit how much people earn over there, you must have a very good job. But I do not know what kind of amplifier you have. The suggestion I made for upgrading with a supertweeter is high end stuff, I am talking Linn and Pathos here. I really don’t want you to spend your money on something that does not make a difference because there is a weak link in the chain.

So, my suggestion. Focus on the front speakers they are the most important. The JX92s is a very good full range to work with, but there is more. For the same price you can build very good two way systems even with a better sound only no point source effect. It is just a matter of choice what kind of sound you prefer. The second most important is the center. Less important are the rear.

The beauty of what I suggested is that you can start quick and can upgrade later. Even when you buy a high end amplifier over a few years it will give you satisfaction if you upgrade then.

It is always better to have the same sound on all the 5 speakers but that is a concession to the cost. Even with a large budget I will not save on the two frontspeakers. My experience is that with a BSC you can flavour the sound a little so that all the speakers are a bit from the same sound. If you use the W4-657SC it has also a aluminium cone so it probably will sound a bit more like the Jordan than a paper cone.
You only can tell if you need a BSC if you have build the cabinet and listened for a few days, even with a wall mounted speaker.

It is always important to listen first and then decide.

Good luck.
Old 19th July 2005, 05:31 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Triumph
Navin,

You can save a lot of money on the rearspeakers if you look for a cheaper alternative. They are less important.
I suggest one from the Tang Band series for example the W4-455S with an Fs from 65 Hz . You can build it in a closed box form about 8 liter. It only cost 25 euro!!!!

Now something honest. I have been in India myself I know a bit how much people earn over there, you must have a very good job. But I do not know what kind of amplifier you have.

The JX92s is a very good full range to work with, but there is more. For the same price you can build very good two way systems even with a better sound only no point source effect.

If you use the W4-657SC it has also a aluminium cone so it probably will sound a bit more like the Jordan than a paper cone.
You only can tell if you need a BSC if you have build the cabinet and listened for a few days, even with a wall mounted speaker.
Thanks you Triumph. I am glad you have visited India. Hope your visit here was a good one.

My HT/AV amplifer is a Marantz SR 7000. It has 5.1 and though it is complex to use the amplifer part is quite good and beefy and can drive most of the speakers i have heard so far. My subwoofer is from Audio Concepts (DV12 x 4) driven by a Carver M1.0t.

Presently my HT speakers are Vifa 6" 2 way in the front and JBL Pro III (simialr to Control 1) for the rear. But this is only a stand in. just like my 29" sony CRT TV. I had always planned to replace the speakers and the CRT TV with a 40"+ Plasma or LCD.

Every speaker I have heard i have found something lacking. the immediate coherrence of my guitar amp is just not there. even some TV speakers if played within their limits sound quite good and i thought that might be becuase they are full range.

My audio system (which is a different system) consists of a Marantz KI CD player, a home made pre amp using relay switching and OP275, home made power amp using Hitachi MOSFET (metal boxes) for the midbass (Scan Speak 8546), a EL84 Push Pull Parallel tube amp for the tweeter (Scan Speak 9900).
Old 19th July 2005, 06:26 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navin

Thanks you Triumph. I am glad you have visited India. Hope your visit here was a good one.

Every speaker I have heard i have found something lacking. the immediate coherrence of my guitar amp is just not there. even some TV speakers if played within their limits sound quite good and i thought that might be becuase they are full range.

I have met a merchant from India here, a very good person with a good sense of humor.

I think you are experienceing what most liver performers will experience when they start listening to audio systems. I must say that it is very difficult to do it on a multi-way system. That is why I had stuck with full range drivers. But I am also trying to do a two way system, lots of figuring out to do.

I certainly would like to visit India some day. I just came back from the Angkor Ruins in Cambodia, and I enjoyed it very much. There are just so many wonders in the world.
Old 19th July 2005, 10:26 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

soongsc, triumph, if you are ever in Mumbai (bombay) please give me a shout and let me know when you are coming.

i suspect that high value inductances in the XO (above 1mh) rob the music of it's dynamics. I dont have any evidence for this but this is just a suspicion.

another explanation could be that we are just so used to one kind of sound that any other even if it more accurate does not sound right to us.

whatever the reason i am hoping to catch the magic of my 15W Marshall / Celetion tube guitar amp (6550) with this speaker.
Old 19th July 2005, 11:06 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by navin
soongsc, triumph, if you are ever in Mumbai (bombay) please give me a shout and let me know when you are coming.

i suspect that high value inductances in the XO (above 1mh) rob the music of it's dynamics. I dont have any evidence for this but this is just a suspicion.

another explanation could be that we are just so used to one kind of sound that any other even if it more accurate does not sound right to us.

whatever the reason i am hoping to catch the magic of my 15W Marshall / Celetion tube guitar amp (6550) with this speaker.
Inductances in the XO normally is in the low frequency path, I changed from a 16# (I think) solid wire inductor to a 14# foil inductor, the base dynamics was a day and night's difference. Crossover was about 450Hz. The base dynamics was so good that I though is was not necessary to go to a larger base for the room size I was designing for.

Probably the best way to find out is to just record your playing on a CD and the replay on your audio system and see how it sounds. Either have someone else play and you record, or have someone else record and compare.
Old 19th July 2005, 11:30 AM   #30
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

FWIW, I've used conventional two way (Scanspeak) and wide bandwidth two way (all Jordan drivers, crossing at 500Hz). I would find it very hard to switch back after the JX92. It's not just the point source imaging (though that is wonderful) but also the coherence of the fullrange approach I'm enjoying. The sound is seamless from bass to treble.

Out of interest, I recently went to a demo of a £22,000 Linn surround system (it's a new floorstanding system, all active) to catch up with what good, commercial hifi is doing. Very good if you want huge volume and like hearing lots of finger nails on guitar strings. But it was a relief to get back to a single driver per speaker! (Usual proviso regarding room, volume levels etc - though I wasn't convinced the Linn sounded more dynamic, particularly.)

Colin

Hide this!Advertise here!