W3-871S Monitors Finished!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You got it, Dave! Mr.Show is one of my all time favourite television shows of all time, ever, along with the flying circus and the kids in the hall(first few seasons anyway). Sometimes I'll go into spontaneous fits of laughter when something reminds me of a Mr.Show skit or phrase in public. A lot of it ends up worming it's way into my vocabulary and syntax (ie. second sentence) I'm brinigng the complete series along on the trip for Jason, maybe we can watch if the weather gets ugly and we don't like talking to each other ;).

Vikash, thanks for the kind words. No crossover whatsoever. I do, however, recommend some type of a lowpass to prevent driver damage by means of curiosity. Someone will try to check if the Xmax is really max. I also dislike working with MDF, sure, it's easy but the dust gets everywhere and I mean everywhere!! Beach sand is a poof compared to MDF dust.
I assume the shipping to be not too terrible, the kits end up fairly compact when flat packed. I'm still configuring the final shipping layout with a local box company. But, I am unfamiliar with intercontinental shipping costs, so it may be outrageous.

Chris8sirhC said:
it is of the 871s, the driver we are talking about on this thread. I'm not exactly sure of the distance, but im pretty sure that one is about 1 meter. The baffle width is 5 and 1/4''. The type of measurement was whatever they were using at last years diy atlanta. mls i think...

And no filter was used? Is this the box in the beginning of the post? If not, is the FR plot a closed box or ported box.

Chris8sirhC said:
nope, no filters at all. its ported (quarter wave design) so the low end will be slightly different, but from the midrange up it should be exactly the same. (asuming baffles are of similar width) check out www.diyatl.org you should see it on that site.

If the FR plot you pointed to is done with this box, wouldn't the low end extent more an show up at 1 meter?

I'm not sure man, I just thought id let you see what an unfiltered 871s looks like. The spaker was measured in a normal room with no room treatments at all. From 150-200hz on down its not going to be that accurate anyway. We did one measurement with the mic about an inch away and it measured ruler flat all the way up. Id say over most of the freqency range it was +/- .5db no peaks or anything like that(lower midrange and up).

I finally hardwired the notch in place after admitting defeat to its necessity:

Win some - lose some Vikash! ;) With a bit of luck you will forget it's there after a while and just enjoy the sound!

That's what happened when I added the compensation circuit to my OB's. I didn't like adding something else in the signal path but after a week or two I forget that they were there. :cool:

It may well be. John makes a point of the first design with more effort gone into baffle diffraction so I guess that would be a fair judgement George. I very much would like to compare with John's preferred design to how much all this diffraction malaki actuall makes. (are you reading this John? my postal address is... ;))

I tried living with them off-axis where IIRC the response is better unfiltered. But wasn't satisfied with that.

Vikash said:
It may well be. John makes a point of the first design with more effort gone into baffle diffraction so I guess that would be a fair judgement George. I very much would like to compare with John's preferred design to how much all this diffraction malaki actuall makes. (are you reading this John? my postal address is... ;))

I tried living with them off-axis where IIRC the response is better unfiltered. But wasn't satisfied with that.

It looks like you are using wire wound resistors. I would recommend getting something with at least 25W~100W ratings and thicker leads. Technically this will be more compatible with driver rating. Inductor wires no less than #16 wire. I think you will hear better resolution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.