CSS FR125S ... production units playing now...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you want real bass with real impact, you really want to augment the FR with a helper woofer. FR125 is capable of getting into the 50s, but will only move so much air. And with the low distortion XBL motor they tend to hit the limits with no warning. For a small FR that is a real bass monster (for a 4") it is hard to beat the CSS EL70 (and use 2 (or more)/side).

It should also be noted that what most people consider bass is actually mid or upper bass -- 40-100 Hz. Check this thread out.

dave

Hi there,
Sorry for waking up the old, sleepy thread...but...
Until these days I have been using Open baffles consisted of Visaton B200 fullrangers and Eminence beta 15, biamped. Then we changed the apartment and moved to a smaller place, so now the listening room is roughly 4 x 4 m, not an Open-baffle friendly. So after a bit of experimenting and trying various things, I have decided to part from OB's. As a had a pair of CSS 125S fr drivers, I mounted them in simple sealed boxes (17 l or so) and for a test, hooked them up to a chip-aamp, TDA 7297, and they played really nice. Then, when I started dismantling the OB's, I decide to connect the CSS 125 Fr's to the amp that Visatons were connected to -A 7w Mosfet follower (SEWA). To my surprize, the CSS 125fr sounded worse with that amp than with a chipamp. Bass lost its definition, sounded woolier and anemic! Then I remembered that it was mentioned that CSS speakers had problems with some tube amps. Apparently that is true also for some low-wattage mosfet amps. As it is, they may need some good chipamp, or similar, which will make me to re-think- re-organize my whole setup...
So, I guess that most of you have moved on, but if any of you is still using the CSS 125FR, what amps turned out to work best with it?
By the way, I am planning to build a pair of sealed subs...

Attachments

• IMAG1379-1600x900.jpg
    IMAG1379-1600x900.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG1616-1600x900.jpg
    IMAG1616-1600x900.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 132
Thanks. :)
Most probably I will be running them with a GC (lm3875-gotta do some work on that-long forgotten one). Maybe I will add a tube buffer, if some "sweetener" is needed. Otherwise, they sound quite good with Tda 7297 chip, except that it is low-power, but it is not really a problem, since I rarely crank it up...
Now I am thinking more about building a pair of sealed subs with linkwitz transform circuit. Maybe I will be able to force Eminence Beta 15s for that, otherwise I will have to buy new bass drivers. Doesn't have to be loud, just has to sound efortless and go really low...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.