Zigmahornet follow up - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2005, 11:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Zigmahornet follow up

Hi folks.

First, thanks to those who brought plans and needed infos for this project.

Initial thread was "Zigmahornets on their way".For those who haven't read the thread, first impressions went like this

I used the Foster 10RG11. My living room is medium sized, but I got almost no bass at all, and quite a hot and peaky treble. Dragging the speakers close to the back walls brought a better balance, but still hot mids and treble, almost no bass. Same with 4.5" Philips, but with a more civilised and extended treble.

I got unexpected good results with a little 4" of unknown maker. Model YDD-103.

A little less treble extension and details, but great midrange clarity, good highs, and articulate bass, though not big bass. But what's there is decent.

Next, I want to try the Fosters again and try to live with them. Hey, Planet 10, could the phase plug trick bring some balance with them? Then, probably try the Bipole config.

Any suggestions? experiences to share??

Oh, I was forgetting. It's always a bit difficult to describe with words the emotions a speaker can cary or not.. My Zigs are not perfect, that's for sure, but though I still have strong reservations about them, there's lot of positive things I like about them. With the YDD drivers, they are lively, coherent, quite 3D and fun to listen to.

For now, all what is missing, is a wee bit of treble extension, not much, (could I add a phase plug?) an slightly more solid, or more believable lows.. but for that, I'd have to go for the Swan 101, and it seems to represent so much work, I'd need to have a listen to a pair first, before starting the project.

Not so bad for a starter project. What's next??

Could a 12" Tannoy HPD be put in a Zigmatower?? (this time I'm sure I'd get real kicking bass.. he he )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zig2.jpg (73.0 KB, 980 views)
Old 22nd June 2005, 11:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Fosters 10RG11 VS Fostex 103?

I'd like to know if someone here did compare both of these drivers. I got a ragged peaky treble from the 10RG11. Is the Fostex 103 like this too?

And has someone tried the "phase plug" mod with it and compare the results?

Any suggestions welcomed.

And is stuffing a major factor in the treble/mid response of the drivers?
Old 22nd June 2005, 12:05 PM   #3
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Sylver300B,

I did not follow the initial discussion. From your description of the sound, it would appear that a BSC filter would help your speakers become better balanced. The mids and highs would be tamed so that the bass was in proportion. Have you considered trying this type of filter?
Old 22nd June 2005, 09:12 PM   #4
jemraid is offline jemraid  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Sylvain,

I've been following the thread about this and was disappointed with you after you'd made such a good job of the boxes, they look great!

I found some info about the YDD-103's here;
http://www.linanwindow.com/speaker/big/ydd103-4.htm

It's the LINAN EURO-CHINA Co., Ltd. They make a whole range of drive units.

Regards - Jem
Old 23rd June 2005, 01:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJK
Sylver300B,

I did not follow the initial discussion. From your description of the sound, it would appear that a BSC filter would help your speakers become better balanced. The mids and highs would be tamed so that the bass was in proportion. Have you considered trying this type of filter?
No, I didn't think of it, but it rather makes sense.. The drivers I wished to use are the Fosters 10RG11. Is a BSC filter common use with these drivers??

Used "as is" it reminds me of my former Lowther academy. Not my type of sound. Detailed and fast, but hot and spicy, un-natural with lots of peaks and dips.

And how does one calculate such a filter? And isn't it any danger to loose the transparency of the original drivers?
Old 23rd June 2005, 02:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default YDD-103 driver

Quote:
Originally posted by jemraid
Hi Sylvain,

I've been following the thread about this and was disappointed with you after you'd made such a good job of the boxes, they look great!

I found some info about the YDD-103's here;
http://www.linanwindow.com/speaker/big/ydd103-4.htm

It's the LINAN EURO-CHINA Co., Ltd. They make a whole range of drive units.

Regards - Jem
Thanks for your positive comments on my boxes! You're the first one to compliment me and yes, I worked quite hard on them. Remember, I'm a beginer.

About the "unknown" drivers, thanks for the link. A friend of mine sent me this:
http://www.addison-electronique.com/...ds=ydd&x=0&y=0

You'll get the pic of the drivers.

May be the Fosters with a BSC filter could make the job in the Zigmas, but I must say that I've been surprised at how nice these YDD drivers sound good as is. All is missing is a slightly more extended treble, but what is there is quite promising, even the bass.
Old 23rd June 2005, 02:49 AM   #7
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, I love the look of the Zigmas and have watched your journey w/ them. Myself, I am new with the speaker part of diy but studying hard and would love to see your Ziggies make it for you. You've done a great job. Maybe this link can help you w/ the BSC, baffle step correction if you have not already spotted it.

Stan
Old 23rd June 2005, 02:51 AM   #8
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

oops! Here is the link...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bsc_sizing.pdf (74.0 KB, 186 views)
Old 23rd June 2005, 03:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default BSC filtering

Quote:
Originally posted by sklimek
Hi, I love the look of the Zigmas and have watched your journey w/ them. Myself, I am new with the speaker part of diy but studying hard and would love to see your Ziggies make it for you. You've done a great job. Maybe this link can help you w/ the BSC, baffle step correction if you have not already spotted it.

Stan
Hi Stan,

Listening to Shirley Horn right now, and I must say it sounds quite good. Just lacking some sparks in the highs. So, there is hope.

As for the BSC filtering link, thanks for that. I'll try it with the Fosters.

I'm distracted by the Zigmas right now. As I write you, there is a trumpet in the intro and the bass comes in gently. Beautiful. I think the Zigmas deserve that I learn more about them, the BSC filters..

Sure, my ignorance is in the way, and it's not always evident where to look, and what to look for.. But right now, what I hear tells me it's not time to give up.

Old 23rd June 2005, 11:02 AM   #10
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Is a BSC filter common use with these drivers??
BSC filters are not commonly used with single driver systems. For years the purist philosophy has been to place nothing between the amp and the driver that might corrupt the sound. My experience has been that the uncorrupted sound can be so midrange dominant that quite frankly the speakers sound terrible. With very few exceptions, my opinion is that almost all single driver systems would benefit from some amount of baffle step correction. To much correction and you have the other problem of loud bass and muffled midrange. It takes some trial and error tweaking to get it right.

Quote:
Used "as is" it reminds me of my former Lowther academy. Not my type of sound. Detailed and fast, but hot and spicy, un-natural with lots of peaks and dips.
Exactly, great description. Try a BSC filter with these also, I use one on my Lowthers and really like the results.

Quote:
And how does one calculate such a filter?
A link was provided above to one sizing method that I wrote a while back, personally I like to design the filter using actual measurements. The sizing calculations should get you in the right ballpark.

Quote:
And isn't it any danger to loose the transparency of the original drivers?
If done incorrectly, the performance will suffer. If done correctly I do not believe anything is lost. All the filter does is adjust the relative volume levels of the mid and high frequencies downward to match the bass. You do loose a few dB of efficiency, I don't believe this is a big issue even with low power tube amps. The filter is a frequency dependent volume adjustment, nothing more.

Hope that helps,

Hide this!Advertise here!