Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2005, 03:50 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Another question. While looking for horn mids I have found a lot of info on the Klipschorns. I have some plans now and I was thinking they might be doable and I could put them in my garage in opposite corners about 18 feet apart. Now I would just need to find a suitable horn mid. I was thinking about this for the tweeter, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=290-534. Now for another question, instead of a premade horn mid could I build a conical horn such as the attached picture and mate it to a http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-400 ??? I was also thinking about this sub for the khorn due to low fs and decent xmax http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=295-190.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conical.jpg (39.6 KB, 564 views)
Old 22nd June 2005, 06:26 PM   #12
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by juan_caliente
Not really, I am not a fan of the pa sound. I don't want it to sound like a concert, just play at concert levels.

Probably the Bastanis Bumblebee is a solution for you. It`s a fullrange/ring radiator coaxial based on eminence stuff. But I didn`t find it any more when I visited the Bastanis homepage last time. And the Bastanis Prometheus kit is a bit more expensive. You would have to ask.
http://www.bastanis.de
Old 22nd June 2005, 08:00 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I really like the promethius. I found some pictures of the bumblebee online and it looks like it uses the emmince coax in an open baffel. I really like the simplicity of it. I wonder how an open baffel would sound with one of these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-504 with this compression driver http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-225 and mabey a lab 12" in a horn for the bass, 1 per side.
Old 22nd June 2005, 08:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I once looked at the frequency response of Eminence coaxials and it looks as if they had just continued the 2kHz "guitar peak" over the higher frequencies. And like most coaxials with compression driver the compression driver sets on very early. This will always sound like PA if the compression driver isn`t very very good, like Altec-Lansing or BMS. An open baffle is not the recommended use for the Bumblebee. You`ll have to use a subwoofer when you want to do this.
Old 23rd June 2005, 09:05 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

When I had mentioned open baffel I was really thinking about the promethius. I would really like to listen to some ob and listen to some rock music on them. I am sure I can imagine everyones awnsers but has anyone here ever built the Decware Imperial??? That thing looks like a monster, and my garage is about 24'x24' so it should just work. I was thinking one 15" and instead of the other 15" I would mount the compression driver in a flange similar to the Bastianis on the promethius. And is it just me or does the flare rate of the flange resemble the waveguide in a tannoy??? Can anyone recomend a resonably priced 15" for this enclosure?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imperial1.jpg (27.1 KB, 489 views)
Old 23rd June 2005, 10:43 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Quote:
When I had mentioned open baffel I was really thinking about the promethius. I would really like to listen to some ob and listen to some rock music on them. I am sure I can imagine everyones awnsers but has anyone here ever built the Decware Imperial??? That thing looks like a monster, and my garage is about 24'x24' so it should just work. I was thinking one 15" and instead of the other 15" I would mount the compression driver in a flange similar to the Bastianis on the promethius. And is it just me or does the flare rate of the flange resemble the waveguide in a tannoy??? Can anyone recomend a resonably priced 15" for this enclosure?
A single Peavy Scorpion or Black Widow. You'll have to play around with some significant fill in the chamber to optimize response.
Old 24th June 2005, 02:39 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When I had mentioned open baffel I was really thinking about the promethius. I would really like to listen to some ob and listen to some rock music on them.
I was thinking one 15" and instead of the other 15" I would mount the compression driver in a flange similar to the Bastianis on the promethius.

If you play guitar yourself you can get a vintage Jensen (better field coil than alnico) at ebay, consumer electronics, vintage electronics and use it open back. The field coil just needs a 110V DC-converter. It`s impressive when you hear a speaker "breathing free" for the first time.
Always beware that the 30" in the Prometheus is fullrange and the compression driver has flat coupling at higher frequencies than usual. That`s the only way to avoid PA sound with normal priced compression drivers.
Old 25th June 2005, 07:09 AM   #18
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default open baffles...

well I have to say that I REALLY enjoy my JE Labs style open baffles. Easy to build and usefull with lots of drivers. And bass up the wazoo! I was worried about the limited bass many open baffles exhibit and can tell you that with Oxford J10's there is solid bass well into the low 30's (just a guess but easily as deep as a Polk SW150, reportedly good to 30Hz). I did add some Seas tweeters and a 1st order Xoverto it to reduce the PA sound and open them up a bit , and it it worked. Huge soundstage...good imaging, great bass.

I'd suggest an efficient, instrument driver, and a tweeter with a simple x over. Apparently Technics have some excellent full ranger for organs that are very good and cheap ($50 a pair in Canada last I looked)

Hide this!Advertise here!