CSS FR125S Initial impressions - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2005, 11:08 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
some of the great 70's vintage receivers, especially the ones that had a 50/60hz subsonic filter.
That sounds like fun. I'll try it out with my Sansui.
Old 18th June 2005, 02:57 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Morbo,

That's very interesting to know. I didn't realize they went that high. My 1985 Onkyo A8087 has a 15Hz subsonic filter (for motor rumble, etc., the manual says).

Doug
Old 18th June 2005, 03:35 AM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: kids, can you say bipoles?

Quote:
Originally posted by maxro
Bipole FR125s eh? I had been thinking jx92s until a couple days ago when I read about this new FR version of the lauded 125s. Well, at half the price, why not go bipole?

I played around with the MJK mathcad sheets yesterday and figured a MLTL (using the preliminary T/s parameters):

L=39"
Z driver=3"
Z port=30"
So=Sd=70sq"
Density=0.3lb/cu ft
Rp=1"
Lp=1.5"

-3dB at 40 Hz with a fairly quick plummet below that.

Anyone want to check my math on that? For 2 drivers parallel: 1/2 the Lvc and Re and double the Sd and Vad. Correct?

So, mixing a FR125 with a WR125 on the back is no problem? The specs are almost the same, and I guess you'd save a few bucks. Any drawbacks to the combo? Well, I guess you wouldn't have the ability to quickly switch between rear and front firing port simply by turning the speaker around.

Chrisb, I too am in Victoria. Any chance for an invite to the unveiling?

Max

I'll let others ponder the math - but I will say that in my particular room situation, the subjective performance frequently belies the anticipated "moderate bass" response, particularly if you listen at SPL's below room loading thresholds. And I've yet to hear a bipole FR in this system that I didn't like - can you imagine bipole FE108ESigmas?

We've scored 4 pieces of the first batch of FR125 for testing purposes, and Bob has more WR's in immediate stock. These are just quickie proto-mules, and yes the T/S are close enough for an old married guy, and finally our intention is to test our hypothosis re the plywood / MDF question, so we hope to have 2 otherwise identical pairs for A/B listening.

With the port downfiring to the floor in my implementaton , there's no port tuning issue.

Sure, in a week or so when all the drivers are installed, a listening & lie swapping session would seem in order.

BYOA! (bring your own amp/s)
Old 18th June 2005, 03:39 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default vintage gear

Quote:
Originally posted by morbo

Welcome to my world (except I use a 60wpc carver amp) Try filtering out everything under the tuning frequency if you can, and you'l get near limitless dynamic range sitting that close. One neat thing about running these little WR/FR drivers in ported boxes, is that they tend to mate really well with some of the great 70's vintage receivers, especially the ones that had a 50/60hz subsonic filter. I tried them with my old Yamaha and they sounded just great.

For SS, try an NAD 3020 or 7020 receiver, or even better an old Fisher tubed receiver. Sure a GC or Zen mini will have tighter bass an "spankier" transients, but not necessarily more musicality, and you could probably find a used NAD somewhere for less than the power supply components and heat-sinks chassis for the chip / FET amps.
Old 18th June 2005, 04:53 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
BYOA!
I was wondering about that. With my horribly "inefficient" designs I'm going to need an amp with some hair.
Old 18th June 2005, 05:20 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default hair is for neanderthals

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter

I was wondering about that. With my horribly "inefficient" designs I'm going to need an amp with some hair.
us metro-SET-uals prefer the silky smooth transparency you can probably only get with small firebottles, and to reiterate my plea for moderate SPL, just how much power do you need for under 90 dB

But seriously, the FE127 bipoles definitely could play louder, and sounded very authoritative in their lowest octave with a Jason's little Gain Clone (don't ask me which device), but were much more finely textured and spacious with the EL84RH monoblocks - and they weren't even fully broken in yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!