FE166E BLH problem - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2005, 07:13 AM   #11
smf is offline smf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hajame

I also live in HK and want to try a Fostex 166E/BLH, but have not found anywhere that sells birch plywood. Could you let me know where you bought yours please (and had it cut to size)? Did you buy your Fostex speakers here too?

Many thansk

Stephen
Old 18th June 2005, 02:36 PM   #12
hajame is offline hajame  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hello!
i am not sure whether mine is brich plywood or not. It is sold in large pieces. I cut the shape myself. It's such a piece of hard job...
Old 20th June 2005, 06:30 AM   #13
hajame is offline hajame  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I have removed the spikes and listened for a whole day. The instruments are less harsh but the images are sharper. The bass changes a little. It is less boomy. The sound I want is almost there.
Old 20th June 2005, 12:12 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hajame
I have removed the spikes and listened for a whole day. The instruments are less harsh but the images are sharper. The bass changes a little. It is less boomy. The sound I want is almost there.
Excellent. Removing spikes and isolating the speaker / coupling it properly to the floor in this manner almost invariably brings positive results. I suspect now all you're left with is a little fine-tunig of the damping material, and you'll be there!

Best
Scott
Old 20th June 2005, 01:27 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
At the risk of being repetitive, you're still playing around with the speakers when it's very likely that your room is the problem.
Old 20th June 2005, 01:53 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
At the risk of being repetitive, you're still playing around with the speakers when it's very likely that your room is the problem.
I would agree that this probably is the case. However quite often the room is not something that can be changed. In which case the only option left is to tweak the speaker until you get something close to what you want.
Joe
Old 20th June 2005, 02:39 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Quote:
Originally posted by Josephjcole
I would agree that this probably is the case. However quite often the room is not something that can be changed. In which case the only option left is to tweak the speaker until you get something close to what you want.
Joe
While changing the room itself usually isn't practical, there's never a case where acoustical treatments isn't possible. For bass treatments, you can even use the corners formed by the ceiling and walls and they can be virtually invisible making WAF a non-issue. You can tweak everything else until you are blue in the face, but if you ignore the room, you may be just spinning your wheels.

Plus it's easy enough to find out. Just take your speakers outside or stand a mattress or cushions and pillows in a corner and see what difference you hear. What are the room dimensions, layout, and construction ?
Old 20th June 2005, 04:58 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR

While changing the room itself usually isn't practical, there's never a case where acoustical treatments isn't possible. For bass treatments, you can even use the corners formed by the ceiling and walls and they can be virtually invisible making WAF a non-issue. You can tweak everything else until you are blue in the face, but if you ignore the room, you may be just spinning your wheels.

Plus it's easy enough to find out. Just take your speakers outside or stand a mattress or cushions and pillows in a corner and see what difference you hear. What are the room dimensions, layout, and construction ?
Yeah, some how room treatment did not cross my mind . Do you have any links for room treatment ideas? I've always had a problems in the 80Hz region in my room, maybe room treatment would do me some good.
Joe
Old 20th June 2005, 06:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

There's a wealth of info online. Do a search for "room acoustics" and "bass traps" and do some reading. Stick to the sites not trying to sell you something. Having a problem only at 80hz will be quite easy to fix. To see the practical effects before you do any work, just play some bass heavy music and listen in the corners for which collects the most bass. Prop a mattress straddling that corner and listen to some music. It won't be ideal but it will give you an idea of how room treatments make a real difference. I consider the room to be second only to speakers for importance in the audio chain. Changing components, cables, etc. is a waste of time if you haven't already addressed the room.

Here are my bookmarks for bass treatment research. You should also research diffusion and absorption if you want to create an excellent music room:

Room dimensions and acoustics theory
http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/Room_acoustics.html

Easy and very effective tube traps if you have the space.
http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html

John Risch's DIY tube bass traps, if you can't find large pipe insulation locally.
http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/basstrap.htm

Information and theory about panel absorbers.
http://www.mhsoft.nl/Helmholtzabsorb...#PanelAbsorber

Panel traps for a home studio.
http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

Helmholtz resonators theory and practical design. May have an incorrect formula check below.
http://www.saecollege.de/reference_m...requencies.htm

Correct formula for Helmholtz resonators. Apparently an incorrect formula in a textbook is floating around on the net, so use this if you want to build a slat type trap.
http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=94

A list of companies and prices for commercial sound treatments,
likely to be a cheaper sources than boutique operations than can be very expensive.
http://images.emusician.com/files/33/SONICTREATMENT.pdf
Old 21st June 2005, 08:25 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Don't forget the room acoustics article on www.linkwitzlab.com either. Everything there is a good read.

Hide this!Advertise here!