Speaker against wall - Flat FR to 50hz - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2005, 03:25 AM   #1
chuck55 is offline chuck55  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker against wall - Flat FR to 50hz

I'm looking for advise on a single full range driver for a speaker going up against the wall. I currently have Tang-Bang W3-871s which has acceptable bass to 80db and rolls off down to about 50. Cabinet is 5 1/2" x 7" x 7".
I'd like a driver to go flat to 50Hz without some mid-bass hump at 100hz.
A 4'" driver with Xmax of 3mm (vs .5mm for the 871) seems a good choice. Problem is, most 4" roll off above 13K.
The Jordan JX92S has too much bass and treble looks a little rough. The smaller JX53 is smoother in the HF but is a 3" driver like I already have, albeit with a 3mm Xmax. Besides I am worried about harshness of a metal driver with a digital amp.
Fostex is an option but most have very low Xmax and the FE 108EZ or FX 120 have Q's of 8! Wow that's high.
Tang-Band has a W4-1320 bamboo driver but still not available.
I don't want any x-over or baffle step correction to muck up the signal path. Cabinet size would be 6" x 8 1/2' x 7".

Any suggestions for a driver and vented or sealed cabinet design would be grealty appreciated.
Old 15th June 2005, 08:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think the Adire FR125S sounds like what you're looking for, but I'm not sure if it's available yet. Also, I'm not sure if you can find and specs or response graphs on it yet either. Timn8ter amongst others, knows a lot more about it than I do. This is just what I vaguely recall. If I remember correctly, I think it's supposed to compete with the Jordan for about half the price, so maybe that'll give you some idea of it's capabilities. Might want to google it though.
Old 15th June 2005, 10:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I've been given a pair for testing. The FR125 looks to be very competitive with the Jordan. Bass response is similar to the WR125S which means you can put it very close to a wall and get nice sound. The big difference is an improved voice coil and a slightly different cone treatment. Additionally the surround material extends just a hair more onto the cone which gives it smoother reponse and helps cone control in the upper range. The FR125 should be available for purchase in about 3 weeks. I've heard the WR125S in a 9 liter cabinet with a 1.5D port which provides nice bass response without a bump in the upper bass region. I expect the FR125 would do the same. I'll post more info as testing proceeds. Keep an eye out for Planet10. He's got some good stuff coming for this driver.
Old 16th June 2005, 07:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info. I emailed Adire and they thought the FR-125 would be a good choice. I got the frequency response at www.creativesound.ca. There is a 5dB boost in the bass between 100-200 Hz which I am a little concerned about.
Parts Express will be selling the Tang-Band W4-1320 SB. This 4" bamboo driver looks flatter through the bass and a moving mass of about 1/2 the Adire unit. No is .501% vs. .2??%. Qms is 1.3. Xmax 3mm. The response curve is maybe a little better up to 13kHz then a dip and 8 dB peak (resonance?) from 15-20Khz. Price is $34 each.
The driver is made from bamboo and I am a little concerned about bamboo coloring the sound as I like paper cones so far. Although I've heard Audio Note uses wood drivers and they are quite popular.
Stilll considering the JX-53 as the 3mm vs. .5 mm Xmax may give the bass I need. This is the *smoothest* 3" driver I have ever seen from 10-20K. And the waterfall plot shows total damping in 1.5 ms. Should be very clean with excellent prat within it's SPL rating I'm guessing.
I'l search here for more info on the Jordan.
Old 16th June 2005, 07:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Take note that the response testing of the FR125 was performed in a 7 liter box. That will cause a bump. Dan's going to test it in a IES baffle so the results should be a little clearer. Also, if you're going to place the enclosure near a wall you will not want the bass response to be equal to the mids in open space.
Old 16th June 2005, 08:11 PM   #6
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

I agree with Tim, model the driver in a resonably sized sealed box and that hump mostly goes away, leaving a smooth rolloff with F3 around 100-110hz depending on the system Q you choose.
Old 16th June 2005, 11:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi chuck55,

There are several posts on the wall mounted spiral horn. I have never heard this speaker, but it looks interesting for a wall design.

http://www.cornu.de/flat1.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spiralbalton2.jpg (31.5 KB, 648 views)
Old 17th June 2005, 04:42 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck55

Stilll considering the JX-53 as the 3mm vs. .5 mm Xmax may give the bass I need. This is the *smoothest* 3" driver I have ever seen from 10-20K.
The JX53 is a 2" driver (53 mm).

Resonance is only 110 Hz. I don't see how it will be flat to 50Hz, even in a ported cabinet. The graph on Jordan's website shows minus 10 dB @ 100 Hz in a sealed cab.
Old 19th June 2005, 07:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Timn8ter, look forward to seeing the response on a baffle.
Linesource, that is an interesting design, don't think it will fit on my mantle though.
Audiobomber, 2"? I was not aware of that! Well I guess that driver is not realistic for a single driver speaker.
I've got a local woodworker who will make the cabinets, all 45 degreee mitres, glued and screwed together for $100. The front panel will be replaceable so I can change drivers in the future. I'm thinking of holding it on with through rods a.k.a. Epos ES12.

Does anyone know what NSM uses (www.nsmaudio.com/brochures/5sbroc.html)? They have a carbon fiber driver for their cheaper model 5. The upgraded$495 Model 5S has a "new paper cone high excursion woofer". Sounds like the Adire unit abeilt, not a full range design. But interesting that paper is considered superior to carbon fiber. Alon, (now Nola) also uses paper drivers and they are very highly regarded.
Old 19th June 2005, 09:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm trying to figure out what a "two way point source" is.

Paper is superior. I think we will start to see manufacturers moving away from their metal cones too.

Hide this!Advertise here!