4q - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2005, 02:54 AM   #1
timothy is offline timothy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 4q

Hey All,

The parallel plane universe of Q(ts) and X(max) have joined. OK, enough of Star Trek references, the world could do with a few less I suppose.

The folded Voights were sounding really good after 50+ hours of burn in. The Lyeco LY802F drivers have found their stride. I am thinking of starting a Moi decrotive garden in the backyard with discarded enclosures. Port and Voight debris abounds.

I am attributing round bass sound to X and Q. First my foe (given the writings I had first started reading some time ago), now my friends.

Next play thing is backloaded horn. Why?....because math says I can!

I can stare at a computer for so long. Then there is a critical point of "so, the computer says OK.....there is one way to find out". Ever look at a new paint color for your living room too long? You know "X"family of colors is going to work....beyond that holding little swatches next to furniture is only seeing trees and no forrest. Go, go young man....go west.

So here is. The computer illustrates the contraption, and lumber required for compiling what is supposed to be an entertaining sound. Should stands of Birch trees fall opposed to Q? Will Q deliver me from the standard boxes to Ponce De Leon and the Fountain of Youth? I remains to be discovered.

I stand (more like sitting with a few empties) before you at the launch of this endeavor. Will it work? Are your slide rules up to the task (mine has burst into flames with working the wood back and forth at a frantic pace).

Might I present enclosure (called EHT.... Enormo Horn Thing... but in retrospect maybe it should be been names Mr Q).

http://www.trialsin.com/EHT2.pdf
Old 14th June 2005, 03:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default spec

Et al,

Forgot that some insight to the driver might be helpful to anyone wanting to follow this tale of accustical spasms.

http://www.lyeco.com.tw/full%20range.htm
Old 21st June 2005, 07:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default upload .pdf?

experiment to see if .pdf file uploads here......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eht3.pdf (45.8 KB, 71 views)
Old 21st June 2005, 07:35 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Nice drawing, but I'm not going to reverse engineer it, so what's the pathlength, throat/mouth area, filter chamber Vb, etc. used to design it?

GM
Old 22nd June 2005, 04:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default specs....

Hey GM,

Sorry, forgot to point out that on the second page of the .pdf there were the specs you were curious about.

45.9 inch (296cm) throat area
611.6 inch (3946cm) mouth area
49 inch (124.5) horn length
Flare Freq. 55hz
Compression chamber volume of 7.096 liters
Compression chamber fequency 220Hz
Shape factor 8 (corner horn)

I chose corner horn so that I could use full length of horn. There are so many variables in horn design, I opted for not chopping something short and adding yet another guess.

My question to you all is: At what point does the size of the throat (large) make the design of the compression chamber....well, not a compression chamber?

There is math, which I have adhered to strictly, than stuffing/damping factory........ and hopefully the fairy dust brew is ripe.
Old 24th June 2005, 03:16 PM   #6
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Strange driver. There is a mismatch between moving mass, magnet size and efficiency, and there is a mismatch between power rating and xmax. Where does it leave the energy? Produce wind?
Old 24th June 2005, 04:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

And what are you going to do with the hole in the upper midrange after backloading it? I would also frontload it, maybe with a frontload-backload coaxial consisting of two concentric horn flares.
Old 24th June 2005, 10:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I thought about two german-style big sphericals with same diameter and slightly different opening. What geometry will that give between the flares? Will that be suitable for backloading?
Old 25th June 2005, 03:57 AM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry, forgot to point out that on the second page of the .pdf there were the specs you were curious about.
Greets!

Well, that's what I get for not paying attention. I assume an exponential expansion (M = 1).

Quote:
At what point does the size of the throat (large) make the design of the compression chamber....well, not a compression chamber?
There is no compression chamber per se in a BLH, only a low pass filter, so the question is moot.

Anyway, it appears you've designed a decent PA 'scoop' horn, though I think you should use a ~35 Hz flare frequency. Most folks probably won't find it a good sounding BLH for a FR driver though due to the excessive mids coming out of the mouth and the ~deep broadband dip from ~400 - 2 kHz that el 'Ol alludes to.

As always though, YMMV.

GM
Old 25th June 2005, 06:56 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Supravox

It all seems to be less strange than I thought. At the Supravox homepage you can see that the 8" with doubled xmax has 3dB less sensitivity than the standard version.
And they all don`t have the midrange hole. Why does nobody backload Supravoxes? Because they are not yellow?

Hide this!Advertise here!