Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2005, 09:21 PM   #11
CoryLee is offline CoryLee  United States
diyAudio Member

An audition would be nice. If it will work with 1 driver that would make things a lot simpler. I have heard great things about this drivers midrange and that it plays low. I guess I fell for moor is better adage. I guess it would make sense to see what 1 driver can do before deciding to go with 2.
Old 9th June 2005, 09:44 PM   #12
SCD is offline SCD  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good plan CoryLee
You will find Tim very helpful and knowledgable. I also think you will be impressed with this driver.

Good luck
Old 9th June 2005, 09:57 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How about it Timn8?
I posted my FR measurments for Rosa and it was proposed that the bump at 7kHz was combing effect. I have my doubts because the same bump occurs whether in a single, double or even 3-way configuration when the WR125 is allowed to run up that high. That makes me think it's cone breakup, not combing. Even if it were, comb filtering is difficult to detect in the average listening environment, IMHO. I think Rosa sounds great and those that have heard it agree.
However, the person that purchased my Rosa prototypes has agreed to let me attempt to tweak them to see if I can attack that bump. It may be that adding a small inductor to the WR125s will take care of it.
Old 9th June 2005, 09:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoryLee
An audition would be nice. If it will work with 1 driver that would make things a lot simpler. I have heard great things about this drivers midrange and that it plays low. I guess I fell for moor is better adage. I guess it would make sense to see what 1 driver can do before deciding to go with 2.
You're welcome to contact me.
Old 11th June 2005, 06:54 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The idea of using a WR for BSC with the FR is a very good idea... Using one of the 16 ohm ones on the back was also siggested as a 3 dB BSC compensation.

Chris is busy on 2 pr of bi-pole ML-TLs (one ply, one MDF). FR125s may land next week.

I'm very excited about this driver.

I have a couple more designs up my sleeve too.

dave
Old 11th June 2005, 02:37 PM   #16
theNoid is offline theNoid  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to theNoid
I would like to suggest that since this is your first project, go with the simple...single driver approach for now. From there you can see how you like them, play with some BSC maybe even as a tweak.

Once you have this relatively simple project under your belt, make a decision as to whether you need or want to ahead and get more complex with dual drivers, dipole/bipole, crossovers, etc.

Shoot, from looking at your location, it seem you are right smack in the middle of WR125s/Adire land so getting an audition shouldn't be a problem for you at all I wouldn't think.

Just my thoughts...

Noidster
Old 11th June 2005, 05:11 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by theNoid
Shoot, from looking at your location, it seem you are right smack in the middle of WR125s/Adire land so getting an audition shouldn't be a problem for you at all I wouldn't think.
If Tim can't help you out, then maybe an "overseas" trip to Vancouver Island. Looks like a VI DIY-fest is shaping up for late August at the mountain and we hop to have a variety of FR125 boxes in action (as well as some of the other usual suspects -- maybe the new FE108ES horns). Chris is currently building otherwise identical MDF & plywood bi-poles (hopefully to settle some of the arguement).

I also drew up a 1st pass of an Onken-style BR last night (inspired by the Solo 103).

Sims show that the FR125 will pop into a sealed box between about 3 & 10 litres, depending on how low a Q works for you (or what size containment is handy)

dave
Old 12th June 2005, 09:24 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Sims show that the FR125 will pop into a sealed box between about 3 & 10 litres, depending on how low a Q works for you (or what size containment is handy)
Here is the sim... Q = 1, net volume 2.5 litres
Q= 0.7, net volume 9.5 litres.
Q = 0.64 , net volume = 18 litres

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif fr125-sealed.gif (13.5 KB, 172 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!