Favourite Fostex 8" - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2005, 08:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Favourite Fostex 8"

Hi,

I'd like to build a nice first fullrange speaker. Thing is, which one to choose ?

The more I search (and believe me, I did), the more I get confused. Budget is not really fixed, but has to be reasonable, say 600 EUR, can stretch if it's worth it.

Since there is no such thing as the best speaker, I thought I'd tackle it in a statistical way and let the forum decide.

To make things (slightly) easier, I thought I'd stick to an 8" Fostex. Maybe not necessarily the best decision, but there you are.

Candidates are all currently produced 8"-ers. Tweeters (like for the 208E Sigma) are okay, but could be a problem budgetwise.

What is your favourite, in which enclosure type and why ?

My goal is to at least come up with a shortlist of fantastically sounding speakers that can fit into a normal living space (Kleinhorns might be THE thing, but if my wife throws me out, they're too heavy to drag along while looking for a suitable campsite).

Music : omnivore, favourites jazz and lounge
Amplification : KT88 and SS
Current speakers : AOS 24 and Hatt MkIII

Gert
Old 7th June 2005, 08:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There's four that fit that price-range; the FE206E, the FE207E, the FE208ESigma and the FF225K.
What you buy depends very much on what sort of speaker you want to build: Horn, Bass-reflex, or some form of Transmission-Line. As it's a first project, I'd advise keeping things as simple as possible (it saves money and time).
Avoid the FE208ESigma: it costs a fortune and really does need that tweeter, which could well push it out of your price range.
I have yet to figure out a use for the FF225K: it's Q is spectacularly low -even lower than the well-regarded FE206E. That would be a great choice if you want a horn, but remember that a) you mentioned you have a 'normal' living space, and horns are very bulky, and b) it's not much cop in other enclosures -Q is still too low and would need some series resistance to be practical in most other enclosures, plus heavy BSC.
Of the lot, I'd choose the FE207E. It would slot neatly into several types of cabinet, two good bets being a Straight Mass-Loaded Transmission-Line (MLTL), or a Mass-Loaded Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (ML TQWT). You can also make an interesting double bass-reflex enclosure for them. Have a look at Martin King's website (www.quarter-wave.com) in the projects section. This is probably a good bet -nice and simple for a first project, and very good sounding too (I've built a pair recently for a friend).
Best
Scott
Old 7th June 2005, 09:03 PM   #3
The one and only

If you can stand to use a tweeter at 10KHz or so and above,
the FE208E Sigma truly is the better driver, and since the FE206E
top end is not that great, you might want a tweeter with it
anyway. Fostex makes some very nice tweeters to match
the FE208E Sigma, but all this is significantly more expensive
than the FE206E alone, but still looks to be within your budget.

If you choose the FE208E Sigma, I usually use a 1 mH coil to
roll the top end of it.
Old 7th June 2005, 10:11 PM   #4
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Kloss (typically on the Hi Eff. board of the Audio Asylum) has tried most of them and says that the (regular production) most expensive (the F200 A) is the best overall (particularly if you have amplification that extends beyond 8 watts a channel).

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind....24303&pid=319
Old 8th June 2005, 04:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG
Kloss (typically on the Hi Eff. board of the Audio Asylum) has tried most of them and says that the (regular production) most expensive (the F200 A) is the best overall (particularly if you have amplification that extends beyond 8 watts a channel).

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind....24303&pid=319

He's probably correct. Not having heard it, I can't comment, other than to say I iwould like to, but I can say this: if you can find a new pair of these for 600euros, you're a lucky man. Same goes for the 208ESigma -in the price-range, but then it needs a tweeter, which will push it over, and it also only works in horns, which don't suit all living spaces too well. That's why I'd still favour the FE207E -it isn't too expensive for a first project, and unlike the FE206E it works well in a variety of enclosures. Depends on the size of the room, confidence in building and wallet really.
Best
Scott
Old 8th June 2005, 04:49 PM   #6
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Visatonīs B200 and Fostex FX200 are worth looking into if you wanna stick with 8". (although I havenīt heard the latter)

greets
Old 8th June 2005, 06:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

After some careful investigation, a front horn clearly was out of the question, but a backloaded horn (size Fostex recommended enclosure) might be acceptable, especially if I decorate it with some flowery paintings and stipulate that the horn mouth can double as a display case. (showing images in the right order is clearly relevant )

Would it be worth it to put the driver in a horn instead of in a MLTL or ML TQWT ? Is there a qualitative gain ? I'm not afraid of some woodwork, afterall my current speakers are also DIY and made it to my living room.

Quote:
Visatonīs B200 and Fostex FX200 are worth looking into
FX200 is no longer available AFAIK and I really would like to stick to Fostex, given the very positive feedback I've read.

Quote:
Fostex makes some very nice tweeters to match
Would a Fostex tweeter be needed or could it be replaced with something less expensive ( e.g. Beyma CP-21 )
Old 8th June 2005, 07:40 PM   #8
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I use the FE208E Sigma with the Aurum Cantus 2si ribbon tweeters in my Basszilla Platinums. I don't have experience with other Fostex drivers, but the combo sounds great to me.

I decided I wanted to use tweeters from the beginning, and I also wanted the 8" for the efficiency. Often the 208 is critisized, but mainly for its lack of high end. Since I wanted to use it for a wide range driver- not a full range, then that wasn't an issue. The tweeter also takes care of disperson issues with a large midrange.

You could order Dick Olshers Basszilla Platinum plans for $20 and use his crossover he designed to work with the 208 and the 2si.

Just ignore his crossover and box for the 15" driver the Basszilla uses instead of a horn, and use a back horn for the bass instead.

The 2si tweet is miles better than the FT17 Fostex tweeter. (and more expensive.)

Here in the USA, 2 FE208 Sigmas are $350 and a pair of the 2si's are about $180, which is much less that $600 euros, In fact you could also get the crossover components and still stay under 600
Old 8th June 2005, 07:44 PM   #9
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose

He's probably correct. Not having heard it, I can't comment, other than to say I iwould like to, but I can say this: if you can find a new pair of these for 600euros, you're a lucky man. Same goes for the 208ESigma -in the price-range, but then it needs a tweeter, which will push it over, and it also only works in horns, which don't suit all living spaces too well. That's why I'd still favour the FE207E -it isn't too expensive for a first project, and unlike the FE206E it works well in a variety of enclosures. Depends on the size of the room, confidence in building and wallet really.
Best
Scott
Considering that the dollar is weak in comparison to the euro (around 1.30-1), that would just be at the upper limit of his price range and the driver doesn't need a super tweeter, goes considerably lower in freq., and doesn't need a complex cabinet. Note though that shipping will be higher and there may be duties and/or VAT..
Old 8th June 2005, 08:34 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

FYI, 208 Sigma is about 200 EUR (so that equates to 260 US$, at the current rate) , FT17 50EUR, T90 170EUR and T900 you don't want to know. These are all prices for 1 piece.

The reason for the big price difference with the US is obviously because every single electronics item sold in Europe is goldplated on the inside.

600 EUR is not that much with our prices.

Gert

Hide this!Advertise here!