Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2005, 08:51 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by timolien
After some careful investigation, a front horn clearly was out of the question, but a backloaded horn (size Fostex recommended enclosure) might be acceptable, especially if I decorate it with some flowery paintings and stipulate that the horn mouth can double as a display case. (showing images in the right order is clearly relevant )

Would it be worth it to put the driver in a horn instead of in a MLTL or ML TQWT ? Is there a qualitative gain ? I'm not afraid of some woodwork, afterall my current speakers are also DIY and made it to my living room.

FX200 is no longer available AFAIK and I really would like to stick to Fostex, given the very positive feedback I've read.

Would a Fostex tweeter be needed or could it be replaced with something less expensive ( e.g. Beyma CP-21 )
Stick with Fostex tweeters -they're a better match, though others can be acceptable.
Quality improvement going from a TL type to horn? Depends on what you call 'quality', and what drivers you ultimately use. I would say no; not unless you also have subs -a decent TL will always go lower than a horn of reasonable proportions, and probably suffer from less colouration too. That's just my take though. It's a trade-off really: the horn will be more efficient, the TL will probably have a smoother response and almost certainly go lower (if it doesn't, something in the design has gone pear-shaped). Your choice. I'm not knocking horns -far from it, but I'd go with the TL types for a first project. If you do, and can cope with the postage price for the F200a, then go with these drivers, and try building Bob Brines FTA-2000 design -either from the plans on his site, or from a full set -he only charges $25, and that would be money well spent. You won't find a better cabinet for these drivers IMO.
If that's too much: FE207E every time. Either Martin's excellent free design, or ask Bob for a set of plans for his LT-2000 -designed for Lowthers and also this driver. Again, I doubt you'd regret it.
Best
Scott
Old 8th June 2005, 09:15 PM   #12
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Soo, 2 FE208E Sigmas is 400 Euros, That leaves 200 for the Aurum Cantus 2si's . I believe that they aren't too expensive in Europe. you will have to check. As I mentioned, the AC ribbons are vastly superior to the Fostex Ft 17 tweeters and match the sound of the 208 quite well IMHO. I agree that a dome tweeter probably wouldn't sound that good. Also it would be hard to find a dome that has the efficiency of the Fostex 208, but the ribbon AC's are about the same efficiency. Its quite possible that the more expensive Fostex tweeters sound great, but they are VERY expensive....

Or you could just get the 206 or 207 initially they are relatively very cheap
Old 9th June 2005, 04:07 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all suggestions,

I found a shop with a 208E Sigma willing to demo.

The lot (including a tweeter) should be around 600 EUR, so I really wonder what tweeter that will be.

If it isn't what I expect, I might fallback to 206/207 or bother you guys some more.

Thanks again,

Gert
Old 18th June 2005, 09:53 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

So I went for the FE208E Sigma, coupled with the FT96H.

They are currently playing on OB where they already produce an astonishing result. Amazing sound comes from these things. There is a large difference whether they are fed from SS or from the KT88 tube amp, much more so than with my previous speakers. Bass is certainly acceptable (size matters, no matter what they say)

I will put them in the Fostex recommended BLH eventually, but that may take a while.

FYI, they play in the attic now. The slightly room-friendlier BLH might make it to our living room, but certainly not these. On the other hand, my wife was impressed with the sound.

Regards,

Gert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize of img2005-06-18 095559.jpg (65.2 KB, 934 views)
Old 18th June 2005, 10:08 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
I think I come a little bit late, but if you anyway needed a tweeter, I would have choosen the FX200 with the cheap FT17H tweeter. The FX-series have a particular membrane which has a texture that is really strange, there are sorts of "grains" on it, giving it a jowel aspect. I think it might contribute to the perfect transparency of the reproduction. The details level is amazing compared to any of the "banana cone" (Fe series) and the sound isn't tiring at all, unlike the Fe series I heard.

Unfortunately, the FX200 is discontinued so I think you did a good choice. I never heard any 8" Sigma, though I found 4" Sigma quite nice as surrounds in a friend's Hometheater.
Old 18th June 2005, 01:54 PM   #16
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

hi timolien

wellcome to wonderfull sound of ob

i know that is just your temporary arrangement, but if you decide to stay with ob, you might want to put speakers of center, it helps
the other thing is that further away from the back wall, the better

just one more suggestion, consider ob for midrange and put it on box with subwoofers, kind of like dick olshers basszila
that way ob is lot smaller, bass is definitely better, still you have clean ob midrange plus good looking speaker suitable for livingroom

enjoy
ed
Old 18th June 2005, 03:30 PM   #17
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
FX200 is no longer available AFAIK and I really would like to stick to Fostex, given the very positive feedback I've read.
http://www.spectrumaudio.de/
Go "Produkte", "Breitbandlautsprecher" then on to the Fostex models.
FX200 costs 169, F208Esigma 201.
Think the one that is out of production is the F200 but Im not sure.

In case you find the prices attractive: The shop owner is very nice to deal with.

greets
Old 18th June 2005, 07:13 PM   #18
diyAudio Editor

Gert:
Congratulations! You somehow made sense out of all the suggestions
I haven't heard that tweeter, but I think upgrading from the FT17 is the right thing to do. BUT I just realized that I crossed my tweeter/208 MUCH lower than people normally do for the 208 so perhaps that was
putting extra stress on the FT17.

Anyway, you made some good choices and if you ever try to make them acceptable for downstairs, they are very attractive, which might help.

Are you now living upstairs? That was very generous of your wife to only make you live up there instead of throwing you out of the house.

Putting the driver off center can help, but in your case, it is in effect off center because the baffle is on the floor and the baffle is close to a wall. You could probably tune the bass some by putting the baffle up agains the wall on the side, and then moving it closer and further away.

In a small space like that, you should buy some of the eggcrate textured foam and piut squares of it on the sides and back walls of the room behind the baffles.Just a few pieces will help

Anyway, good job- sorry abiut the budget!!
Old 18th June 2005, 07:56 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

The last 2 days I have been playing lots of CDs through them, and I must say, they image wonderfully.

adason, I will certainly not throw away the baffles after burn-in. While building the BLHs - I definitely want to try them- I have ample time to evaluate them as OB drivers. I have a sub standing there anyway (My HT setup is at the opposite side of from where I took the picture in my previous post) I'll hook it up to the Fostexes (everyone agrees to this plural ? English is not my native tongue). I thought Fostex drivers were not so popular as OB drivers. Is everybody else mistaken in that notion ?

Variac, the tweeter is crossed at 10k now, but I have some other caps and I will try some other crossover points. The space is small, but there's a fairly long slope behind the baffles. At ground level, I guess there's about 1.5 meters of carpet behind them.
Bass is not ultra deep, but the quality of it is very good indeed. I can hardly believe they can get better after break-in.

Gert
Old 18th June 2005, 08:33 PM   #20
diyAudio Editor

Some Basszilla links. Might be worth the $20 for ideas about open baffle size and crossover- even with a different tweeter!

http://store.hifiauthority.com/olsherkits.html
http://www.blackdahlia.com/html/tip_43.html

Hide this!Advertise here!