Enclosure for Jordan JX150 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2005, 12:02 PM   #1
DIAR is offline DIAR  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure for Jordan JX150

I might be able to get a pair of discontinued Jordan JX150 drivers. Is it really as good as some people say it is.

I suppose that closed enclosure is fool proof.
Bass reflex doesn't feel sensible as it needs about 120 litre enclosure for a nice output.

What other realistic enclosure types are there. ML-TL maybe?

I have several configurations in mind. I now have Jordan JX92S in ML-TL (fabulous). I could place it in a 4-5 litre closed box. I also have a few Dynaudio Esotar2 tweeters laying around.
I might also consider using Jordan JX53 (a new model coming up) or Tangband 3" line array.
I would be using JX150 as an active speaker.

The aim is to get JX92S type of sweet filterless full range sound but with more authority and slam and suitability for senseless home theater pounding. At the moment I listen to music using JX92S ML-TL and I have totally separate speakersystem for home theater. Convenient but not too pleasant to have a room filled with speakers

I have a subwoofer for the lowest octave. I suppose I can't expect miracles using a 4,5 mm x-max driver
Old 27th May 2005, 12:25 PM   #2
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Enclosure for Jordan JX150

Quote:
Originally posted by DIAR
I might be able to get a pair of discontinued Jordan JX150 drivers. Is it really as good as some people say it is.

I suppose that closed enclosure is fool proof.
Bass reflex doesn't feel sensible as it needs about 120 litre enclosure for a nice output.

What other realistic enclosure types are there. ML-TL maybe?

I have several configurations in mind. I now have Jordan JX92S in ML-TL (fabulous). I could place it in a 4-5 litre closed box. I also have a few Dynaudio Esotar2 tweeters laying around.
I might also consider using Jordan JX53 (a new model coming up) or Tangband 3" line array.
I would be using JX150 as an active speaker.

The aim is to get JX92S type of sweet filterless full range sound but with more authority and slam and suitability for senseless home theater pounding. At the moment I listen to music using JX92S ML-TL and I have totally separate speakersystem for home theater. Convenient but not too pleasant to have a room filled with speakers

I have a subwoofer for the lowest octave. I suppose I can't expect miracles using a 4,5 mm x-max driver

The JX53 line array with JX150 is something I would also like to do. The new JX53 has a better looking face plate, and the mounting holes are at a different location.
Old 27th May 2005, 12:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Have you seen a picture of the new JX53 somewhere in the internet. I haven't
Old 27th May 2005, 01:17 PM   #4
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

There are many photos from various vendors. Google.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=JX53

http://www.welbornelabs.com/stuff.htm

Davey.
Old 27th May 2005, 02:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Aren't those the old JX53 drivers? New JX53 should become available in near future.

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/prod173.htm
Old 27th May 2005, 02:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Aren't those the old JX53 drivers? New JX53 should become available in near future.

Creative Sound has been selling the new JX53. They had four of them left as of last week.
Old 27th May 2005, 03:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:

http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/prod173.htm

Those are the old ones. The new ones look better. I wonder why they have not changed their web site yet. Resonant frequency is much lower. Perhaps they are not ready to publish the new specs yet.
Old 27th May 2005, 03:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Enclosure for Jordan JX150

Quote:

I think they are well worth it. I have a pair on the side ready for the next project. With the JX125 I am currently working with, It looks like -6db at 20Hz (near field) after boxing it. I would think the JX150 would be better.
Old 27th May 2005, 05:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for clearing things up

It's just that I really like JX92S and the whole design concept and now I've been reading Jordan website and Ted Jordans interview by TNT-audio. JX150 and JX53 linear array sounds like a dream...

It makes me wonder why JX150 is discontinued if it is really that good. Is it better than its competitors. JX150 is quite expencive and there are countless other drivers on the market. I wan't the best sounding driver...
Old 28th May 2005, 01:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

All Jordans use very light cones. Once you start using light cones in the bass, it seems to be necessary to go back to basic physics to figure things out instead of just plugging T/S parameters. Also lots of people prefer punchy and uncontrolled basses due to music preference. Of course, price is also an issue.

Hide this!Advertise here!