Used Full Range drivers, second life..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Smokehouse Bob said:
Here's a little cheapie pair. 8 ohm, 10 W. Accordian pleat with alnico in the back Came mounted in a closed box, no padding, no tweeter. Measures 6 1/2" OD on the stamped frame. Labelled R-S6964, Japan. Dust cap has a distinct chatoyancy.

Those 3-legged baskets support quite a few different drivers. The shint cloth dustcap is typical National.

dave

Thanks Dave. These were from a pair of Kenwood/Trio branded boxes. Vinyl covered luan-looking little boxes. The tags were still on the rear claiming "93 dB w/ 1 watt at 1 meter". I doubt that was real, but they are cheap fun for 6-1/2's. I spotted some other single driver, made in Japan boxes earlier in the week and may grab them too. I gotta off my lazy **** and make some different sized OB's for "fun runs".

Found these in a Sears console. A lot of reasearch later, I find out they are Jensen Concert series P8Ts. Haven't found out much else other than they have some potential for good midrange. I have plans on mating them with some 12"-ers to fill out the bottom end. The speaker on top of the baffle is the tweeter from the console. Tried it but found that it added nothing to the range as it was too quiet.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I just pulled some old plywood out of the barn. I don't want to ruin any good ply until I know what to do next. If that were the final version of this OB, I'd christen it the WAF Zero. :D

I did notice the speaker seems a lot cleaner sounding when I put in a high-pass cap.

Here's the backside of the speaker.

DSC_4910.jpg

Anybody have an idea of impedance of this thing?

I measured them this morning.

Approximately 8.4 Ω.

I did find an old Jensen price sheet posted on Angela.com that states the impedance for the P8T as 3-4 Ω.

The additional 12-inch woofers I found are about 3.8Ω.

I'm doing it the hard way, not getting pieces with nicely stated T/S parameters. :rolleyes:

About three weeks ago I found a discarded Zenith phono console. Along with an SEP amp, there were a pair of these speakers. A ten inch wired for full range and a cone tweet with a 3uf cap. Looks like another open-baffle project down the line...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and the amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.