Used Full Range drivers, second life.. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2005, 12:11 AM   #11
BTW is offline BTW
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoog
I would like to know of a really good solid state class A amp design which can beat a good tube design. The first amp I built was a ZenV3 and I was happy with it until I compared it with a Gainclone. It then went into storage and I can't see it ever coming out again.
I know there must be better class A designs. I wouldn't mind trying again, but it would have to be a big step up from the Zen.
The thing that gets me with tubes is not their performance, which is top notch, but the ongoing expense of tube replacement and also the future rarity of said tubes.

Shoog
Try the Zenlight, the Gainclones are what I would call a textbook perfect amp. But the midrange is still very SS ie not so magical... The Zenlight on the otherhand has midrange very similar to that of a good SET amplifer. Actually it's a good idea to have both types of amplifer around.....
Old 23rd May 2005, 07:01 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The thread spawned by the discussion of amps to drive vintage full ranges is here....

Used Tube Amps, second life..

Used Tube Amps, second life..

dave
Old 23rd May 2005, 09:52 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Tubee or not tubee? ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by BTW

Actually it's a good idea to have both types of amplifer around.....
Exactly! and that's why I still have a couple of good SS designs around... but I keep replugging my tubes all the time..

Sure, there are a few magical ss amps too, just like there are some awful tube amps too, but when tubes are in a great amp, gee it's good..

By the way, the Non Inverted Gainclone has been my cheapest and best ss amp around, and a real fun project to build. Beast any high priced amp I've owned so far. Zenlight seems quite promising then.
Old 23rd May 2005, 10:10 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Andrew?

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Yes... when you come visit, you'll know why things sometimes take a while....

The difference between stock & tweaked is significant.

dave
Well, about a visit, you might be surprised... one day. I have a good friend in Vancouver, that I plan to visit at some point.. so beware..

About tweaked and stock, well well, I'll continue my search for a second pair of them, and then I'll perform the surgery. Right now, I am practicing on the burnt Philips..
Old 23rd May 2005, 10:17 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Shoog
I'am a big fan of the Isophons. I had a pair of 8"x12" ones with nice alnico magnets.Shoog
I have not met many german drivers, but when I meet a Grundig, Saba, Telefunken ect. consoles, I can't let them go without having a look at what's inside..

I have a Nordmende stereo console from the 60's. The usual EL84 Single Ended outputs (2-3watts?) It's nice to look at, with its miror finish, white push buttons, and it has a great FM tuner. Could not scavenge it.. too cute.

But I look for wrecked ones now, just in case..
Old 23rd May 2005, 10:57 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Tubee or not tubee? ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sylver300B
Zenlight seems quite promising then.
There is an interesting thread on a no-feedback (ie current) version of the ZEN right now... the last posted ZEN-lite was REALLY interesting... 4 Rs, 3 Cs, a light bulb, and a mostfet....

dave
Old 23rd May 2005, 10:59 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: Re: Andrew?

Quote:
Well, about a visit, you might be surprised... one day. I have a good friend in Vancouver, that I plan to visit at some point.. so beware..
Just give me some head's up ... no point in getting to the big smoke without coming to the island...

dave
Old 23rd May 2005, 11:03 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I have a Nordmende stereo console from the 60's. The usual EL84 Single Ended outputs (2-3watts?) It's nice to look at, with its miror finish, white push buttons, and it has a great FM tuner. Could not scavenge it.. too cute.
I run into Normendes most often. They are a good source for Isophon drivers. The EL84 amps come in 2 varieties, one with little OPTs that makes a nice mid/tweeter amp and one with big OPTs. They also made an ECLL800 PP amp. I've a couple that are still in the queue for restoration.

dave
Old 24th May 2005, 08:14 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Would you guys like me to post some hunting targets & what you can expect to find in them?

dave
Old 24th May 2005, 11:40 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default hunting

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Would you guys like me to post some hunting targets & what you can expect to find in them?

dave
Yes, of course! let's start the hunting..

Hide this!Advertise here!