looking for Jordan JX92 (Pre ”S”)/ JX125 project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Apparently we have the technology ... albeit at low res.

PS Re-reading the thread, I realise I never did report back on the offset TL linear array. Probably because it didn't sound very good. I sold the JX53s and then TJ demonstrated how stunningly good his sounded in a wide baffle enclosure.

Attachments

• jx621.jpg
    jx621.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 268
Hi Colin,

after I bought your JX53 I was thinking what to do with them!
I put them in a wide baffle as you suggested at the time and sounded quite good, but put them aside as I liked my other system more.
Last month I decided to finish my project as I had some JX150 sitting around. Hope tomorrow will be finished.
I am going to use the compensation circuit suggested by Jordan and a 4.5 mH coil for the bass. Hope they sound good. You can see some pictures, hope you like them.

Geroge

Attachments

• img_0343.jpg
    img_0343.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 195
Well, I just put the speakers to play and I think they are amazing. To a great part I think to the JX150 woofers. I cross them with a 6.9 mH coil at the moment, after trying with a lower value. I will get a very good 9 mH as ted recommends, it should make thinks better I thing.
The only think I find missing is image height, but that could be due to placement. Maybe they sound better close to the rear wall?

vgeorge said:
Hi Colin,

after I bought your JX53 I was thinking what to do with them!
I put them in a wide baffle as you suggested at the time and sounded quite good, but put them aside as I liked my other system more.
Last month I decided to finish my project as I had some JX150 sitting around. Hope tomorrow will be finished.
I am going to use the compensation circuit suggested by Jordan and a 4.5 mH coil for the bass. Hope they sound good. You can see some pictures, hope you like them.

Geroge
Hope you have all leads to the JX53 the same length.
If you have the capability to measure impedance of the finished speakers, it would be a good idea to see if flattening out the impedance peaks would make the sound better.

Hi - They look very and glad to hear they sound good too. Image height is, I think, a function of using an array - the sound at HF drops off a little as you move below or above the array's field of fire. So raising the cabinets or sitting farther away may help sort this. It's also worth experimenting with toe in - Ted has his at 60 degrees in. The woofer is only rolled off at 6dB octave so it will contibute weight and warmth to the lower midrange, filling out the sound.

Okay, now I regret selling them...

Yes, I have all the cables measured to the same length.
Unfortunately I can' t measure the impedance of the finished speaker now.
I once did it with another speaker and a demo pc program. I still have the wires and resistors required, but it was quite complicated, and using the sound card of my laptop, I wouldn' t really trust the results. Do you know an easy way to do it?

Colin, I think the reason I did not like them so much before was that they were playing full range, without the comp circuit.
Tried with different placement and sound even better! I will experiment more and cross them lower and with a better quality coil than now and then decide what to do, but I prefer to stay as simple in the crossover as possible. Anyway, I am really exited with the speakers now!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.