Unknown 5.25" Drivers -any suggestions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2005, 04:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Unknown 5.25" Drivers -any suggestions?

I bought a pair of these for the sheer hell of it in a local electronics store a while ago, and they've been sitting in their boxes ever since: only just found them again. 12.47 each. Not bad for the price.
They're generic full-rangers with a paper cone, very large magnet (or I think it is!) for their size and price, rubber surround and a small paper whizzer cone -reminds me of the RS 1354 in certain ways. No markings came on the box, other than a lable marked 'Eagle' and their model number: LO22B and they don't come with any T/S parameters either. As they're not much use without, I trundled back to the shop earlier to see if they could throw some light on the matter. The answer is; not really. They were in a catalogue that most shops like that get for their own benefit and use for ordering, simply titled 'Electronics' and dated from either 2001 or 2002, and the only parameters available in this are as follows:

Impedance 8 Ohm
Nominal Power handling 45w
Max power 60w
Frequency response 63Hz - 20 KHz
Fr 63Hz
Sens. 1w /1m 92db
Magnet weight 567g
Overall weight 985g

Not much help. Anyone out there ever run across these before, and have any better information? And, of course, know them or no, has anyone any frugal suggestions please about what to do with them! They work perfectly and are band new, so it'd be a shame to leave them in their boxes, though I'm not expecting the earth -I'll stick with my usual Fostex drivers for that! I was thinking of a TQWT or perhaps open baffle...
I'll try to take a picture and post it soon, if I can ever get my digital camera to work.

Cheers for now
Scott
Old 22nd May 2005, 06:12 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Unknown 5.25" Drivers -any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
I'll try to take a picture and post it soon, if I can ever get my digital camera to work.
A picture would be really helpful... the name Eagle came up a long time ago with reference to some other FRs we were discussing on the FR Forum. A european brand of a speaker known over here as something else. A picture would probably jog my memory.

If you have a 'puter measuring T/S is pretty easy. Speaker Workshop for Windows (althou i understand the UI & setup are a bit of a bear), and now for those of us running Macs & OS X, URL=http://www.fuzzmeasure.com/]FuzzMeasure[/URL] which is dead simple to use and only requires a really simple jig (as simple as a spare 4mm phone audio cable, a 1k R & an 8R calibration)

dave
Old 22nd May 2005, 08:37 AM   #3
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Scott,

Electrovision sell some similar drivers here and on their home page they list a brand called Eagle. Could this be a clue?
Old 22nd May 2005, 08:56 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
Scott,

Electrovision sell some similar drivers here and on their home page they list a brand called Eagle. Could this be a clue?

Good call! Here they are -listed as the 5.25" full-ranger 'speakers and cabs', '3 - 5.25" ', Electrovision chassis.

http://www.electrovision.co.uk/cat/cat_frame.htm

I'll try to post some better pictures and get some decent T/S parameters measured over the next day or so. Hardly Fostex or Lowther, but, as I say, not bad for the money.

Cheers
Scott
Old 22nd May 2005, 09:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, I see what you mean about the magnet - quite large for the size of the driver!

My suggestion - stick them in some sealed polystyrene boxes - about 20-25 litres in volume.
Old 23rd May 2005, 02:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
Yes, I see what you mean about the magnet - quite large for the size of the driver!

My suggestion - stick them in some sealed polystyrene boxes - about 20-25 litres in volume.
Ah, now there's a thought. Wasn't it Russ Andrews who liked v. light-weight or thin-wall construction to keep stored energy down?
Scott
Old 23rd May 2005, 03:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ah, now there's a thought. Wasn't it Russ Andrews who liked v. light-weight or thin-wall construction to keep stored energy down?
That's quite right Scott. It was RA who started me on that road. He recommended 12mm chipboard bonded to 12mm insulation board and that does work very well.

Taking things a step further, I built a speaker from 50mm thick polystyrene sheet (from a builder's merchants) and that was one of the best (boxed) speakers I have ever heard. I intend to try it again sometime using a full-range driver!

There has been at least one commercial polystyrene boxed speaker that got very high reviews.
Old 8th September 2006, 03:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have just recieved a pair of these drivers from Rapid on line to build a set of computer speakers to mate with my old sonic T amp.

At 8.68 each plus vodka n tonic i thought it was worth having a go

I have attached the Rapid data sheet with T/S parameters.

Rapid part no is 35-1402
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 35-1402e.pdf (63.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 8th September 2006, 04:42 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

That attachment seems to be corrupt.
Old 8th September 2006, 05:41 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
That attachment seems to be corrupt.
Here you go Cal... i didn't have problems with it...

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif l022-ts-parms.gif (4.9 KB, 251 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!